Continuing a dream

Fans fill Memorial Stadium Saturday night for Drum Corps International World Class Championship Finals.

The Drum Corps International World Class Semifinals saw Phantom Regiment edge out The Cavaliers for second place Friday night.

“(Overtaking) The Cavaliers hasn’t happened since 1996,” said corps member Daniel Allen.  “It’s put us in a very good position to end the summer strong.”

Meanwhile, Blue Devils maintained its first place lead with its colorful program “Constantly Risking Absurdity,” earning an overall score of 98.050. Phantom Regiment scored 97.675 total with their revival of their 1981 and 1982 program, “Spartacus.” The Cavaliers got 97.550 for their “Samurai” program, and Carolina Crown’s “Finis” show followed in fourth place with 96.700.

The Cadets, Santa Clara Vanguard, Bluecoats, Blue Stars, Blue Knights, Boston Crusaders, Glassmen, and Madison Scouts will proceed into the finals Saturday evening.

Members of Phantom Regiment emerged from IU Memorial Stadium satisfied with the evening’s events and excited for more.

“Our section had a pretty fantastic show, and we know it’s going to be even better tomorrow,” Allen said.

Phillip Martinez, 21, added, “It doesn’t matter to me what the score is. I just know we threw down, and the crowd loved us.”

“It’s amazing,” said Lida Figueredo, whose son James plays snare in the Phantom Regiment. “They beat Carolina Crown last night, they beat The Cavaliers tonight. Now, they want to beat the Devils.”

Jim Figueredo said, “They’re worked so hard all year. They keep perfecting their craft.”

The Figueredos were struck by how the audience connected and responded to Phantom Regiment’s performance. One of the highlights of their show is when the corps shouts “I am Spartacus," a reference to one of the final scenes of the 60s film “Spartacus."

This time, Lida said the cries of the “slaves” were stronger, and the music of the corps louder than usual.

“The kids got more pumped," she said. "Today the audience just made them go crazy, and it got louder and louder.”

Amy Garapic, a percussion performance major at Ohio State, has always appreciated Regiment’s traditionally classical focus. For one thing, she said it enhances their general image.

“To me, the Regiment is always a class act,” Garapic said. “They’re very professional-looking. You never see them hyping it up or rocking out on the field.  They’re just very tasteful and classy.”

For Garapic her presence at this summer’s championships is bittersweet. She used to play in the front ensemble, but aged out after 2007.

“It’s sad,” Garapic said. “I’m excited for them, but it’s hard to not be out there.”

Because the Figueredos’ son James turned 21 this year, he’ll be too old to return. Jim and Lida said they were sad about it, but Jim said the year has been “so good” for James, “Because it was his dream come true.”

His dream had always been to be in the Phantom Regiment. Last year, he was with the Boston Crusaders, one of the oldest active world class corps, but had previously tried out for the Regiment. With one more year of eligibility left, James was uncertain it would be worth another attempt.

“He said, ‘Mom, what should I do? … I might not make it’,” his mother recalled. “I told him, ‘Do it,’ because you will always go through life thinking, ‘what if?’ … You should take the risk for something you want.”

Jim said it was hard for his son to leave the Crusaders, but Regiment was where he wanted to be.

The passion of Regiment was one of the biggest draw factors for James.

“It’s always been a dream for me to march here,” he said. “Everyone performs with passion.”

With just the DCI finals to go, Phantom Regiment have just one more chance to fulfill another dream. Though James said it’s not just about points.

“We’re not worried about what place we get," he said. "But we worry about touching the audience in a special way.”