Sunday, June 16

Obama opened office in Bloomington Monday

Downtown Bloomington was buzzing for Obama at Monday evening’s opening party for one of the first six “Indiana for Change” campaign offices to open in Indiana.  The new campaign office on the corner of Ninth and North Walnut streets once housed a taco joint, but now it is set to become a grassroots-campaigning center for Obama.

Local Obama supporters hope that campaign efforts will culminate in the state’s first Democratic victory seen in a presidential election in Indiana since Lyndon Johnson’s victory in 1964.

“For the first time in 40 years, we’re going to have a competitive Democratic candidate in Indiana,” said Indiana State Representative Matt Pierce, D-61, to the cheering crowd of about 250 people.

Outside the building were several signup tables, crowded with supporters who were adding their names to lists and rosters. In the back of the building, a handful of campaign volunteers staffed the “gift shop,” selling T-shirts, pins, stickers and other paraphernalia. Tables of snacks and refreshments lined another wall.

Present at the opening party were a number of local politicians and Democratic party members.  

Mayor Mark Kruzan is among those pulling for a Democrat victory in Indiana.

“But even if that doesn’t ultimately happen, the fact that we’re considered competitive is a success,” he said.

Kruzan said he was struck by the turnout at Monday’s event, namely the number of people who showed up despite summer break, how young the crowd was and the number of new, unfamiliar faces.  

John McCain’s campaign, meanwhile, has no plans to open offices in Indiana, said Indiana Republican Party spokesman Jay Kenworthy. He said McCain has spent very little money in the state.   

“The Obama campaign has a lot of money,” Kenworthy said. “But he has so much money to spend, I don’t think he knows what to do with it.”

He said Obama was unlikely to defeat McCain in Indiana, which is traditionally a Republican state, and went on to imply that Obama actually lost support during the primary election, despite his similar campaign strategy.

In response to Kenworthy’s remarks, Kruzan said, “A sure sign of a worried campaign is one that speaks negatively of the opposition.”

Bloomington resident Jim Bob argued that McCain actually is not popular in Indiana, and said Obama’s candidacy signifies substantial progress in racial attitudes in America.

“This is a time for enormous change in the country,” Bob said, recalling segregated Fourth of July parades.

Obama’s campaign is planning to open between 25 and 30 offices in the state during the time leading up to the general election this November, said Jonathan Sweeney, communications director for Obama’s campaign in Indiana.  

“We were very pleased with all the office openings over the weekend, and especially tonight,” Sweeney said.