IUPD: No suspects in gravestone damage incident

Parts of two gravestones in Dunn Cemetery next to Beck Chapel were either broken off or stolen early Thursday morning, said IU Police Department Sgt. Rebecca Lucas, reading from a police report. No suspects have been reported.\nOfficers reported to the cemetery at 2:34 a.m. and spoke with a service employee in the Indiana Memorial Union who noticed the headstones were broken, Lucas said. The recently broken stones are in the second and third row from the IMU, she said.\nIf a suspect is found, Lucas said he or she would be charged with “cemetery mischief,” listed under Indiana Code Offenses Against Property as a Class A misdemeanor, punishable by a short-term jail sentence.\nLucas said while other cemeteries in Bloomington have problems with vandalism, gravestones aren’t usually broken or stolen at Dunn Cemetary.\nRachel Robertson, who works next to the cemetary at the IMU Biddle Hotel and Conference Center front desk, said most guests at the hotel just ask to view Beck Chapel, but some enjoy the peacefulness of the graveyard. She said she hasn’t heard of anyone damaging gravestones in the cemetery since she’s worked at the hotel.\n“I’ve been here since 2005, and I haven’t had anyone be that disrespectful,” she said.