Hawley says no to IU

Compliance director resigns from new position

COURTESY PHOTO
Chad Hawley
Former Associate Athletic Director for Compliance Services

Recently hired Associate Athletic Director for Compliance Services Chad Hawley has decided to not take the job at IU within the last 10 days, according to IU Athletics spokesman J.D. Campbell.

Hawley will return to his previous position as the Big Ten’s assistant commissioner for compliance.

This announcement comes nearly four weeks after the NCAA Committee on Infractions handed down an additional charge against the university for “failure to monitor.”

“With respect to my decision not to go to IU, suffice it to say that I was really looking forward to working with (IU Director of Athletics) Rick Greenspan,” Hawley said in a statement. “After his resignation, I re-evaluated the situation and decided it was best to stay in my current position. My decision had nothing to do with the failure-to-monitor allegation.”

Greenspan announced on June 26 he would step down at the end of the calendar year. This announcement came the same day the NCAA levied its sixth allegation against IU.

The allegation stems from more than 100 impermissible phone calls and other alleged recruiting violations of former coach Kelvin Sampson and members of his staff.
Sampson resigned and took with him a buyout of $750,000 on Feb. 22. Sampson is now an assistant coach with the Milwaukee Bucks.

Prior to a Committee on Infractions hearing on June 13-14 in Seattle, Wash., to discuss alleged rule violations by Sampson, the athletic department made some changes to its compliance staff. IU athletics announced Jennifer Brinegar, who worked for 12 years as the assistant athletic director for compliance, was promoted to senior assistant athletic director for recruiting and enrollment services on June 3. The same day Hawley was hired to his position in compliance services. Campbell couldn’t confirm the salaries of Brinegar and Hawley.

In addition to his time at IU and in the Big Ten, Hawley has previously held compliance jobs with the Mid-Continent Conference and Ivy League and at North Carolina State and Appalachian State, his alma mater.

IU is still searching for a new associate athletic director for compliance services.

“We are moving quickly to find a replacement,” Campbell said.