Sunday, June 16

Alpha Chi Sigma national conclave comes to IU

Science came to life in Bloomington this week at Alpha Chi Sigma’s 49th Biennial Conclave.
The event was hosted by three chapters of the chemistry fraternity – Epsilon of IU, Zeta of the University of Illinois, and Iota of the Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology – as part of their upcoming centennials. The six-day meeting brought more than 200 collegiate and professional members together to conduct legislation and elect its national leaders for the next two years, attend educational forums and socialize. The coed fraternity focuses on chemistry, but the organization is open to anyone who has taken at least one chemistry class, regardless of their major.
“I love this place,” said IU chapter president Susan Wetzel. “It’s my favorite group ever.”
Now a senior, Wetzel said she has been a member since her freshman year.
“I don’t know what I would do in college without it,” she said.
Bill Courtney, a professional delegate and a candidate for Grand Professional Alchemist at this year’s conclave, said the legislative sessions can foster passionate debate sometimes, but brotherhood ultimately prevails.
“It’s a very democratic organization. If there’s something about the organization we don’t like, it’s up to us to change it,” he said. “We can yell and scream at each other in session and then go out and share a beer afterwards.”
Other events planned for the week included a picnic, tours of the IU Cyclotron Facility and Lilly Library, a professional poster session and a banquet.
On Wednesday afternoon, the Gamma Theta chapter from Truman State University in Missouri led a forum on its hugely successful tie-dye chemistry educational outreach program. Public outreach programs play a major role in Alpha Chi Sigma’s objective of promoting chemistry as a science.
“It’s just plain fun, but there’s a lot of science in it,” said Gamma Theta faculty adviser Anne Moody. “You can present it at the preschool level and the college level.”
Moody went through the basic chemistry of bonding and molecular structure that explains the science behind tie-dye, and made the point that tie-dye is just an example of how one can connect chemistry to everyday life.
“You think you’re not chemically dependent, but we are,” Moody said. “It’s everywhere. It’s in your food and your clothes.”
Melissa Waller came from Kansas State University’s Beta Rho chapter for her first conclave, and said she found the tie-dye forum interesting.
“I think it will definitely be useful for fund-raising for our chapter,” she said.
Waller is not a chemistry major, but she joined Alpha Chi Sigma for the social aspect. In fact, for many members at the conclave, Alpha Chi Sigma plays a major social role. Waller considered some sororities, but she wasn’t satisfied.
“I wanted something with more focus. I chose to join, and it’s really helping me meet people I wouldn’t have met otherwise,” she said.
Pat Johanns came to tie-dye an outfit for his 13-month-old daughter. Johanns, a business professor at Purdue, serves as National Secretary-Treasurer and Grand Recorder for Alpha Chi Sigma. As business becomes global, he said, fraternities and outreach programs like this one could contribute to enhancing the global competitiveness of America’s professionals.
“We really need to focus on what’s important for the U.S. to get ahead,” he said. “Part of that is a well-educated workforce. And that includes – of course I’m going to talk about science stuff – but it also includes literature and the arts.”
Johanns also noted the importance of connecting science with everyday life, especially in encouraging students in the science, technology, engineering and mathematics, which are considered today’s “need areas.”
“And the more scientists can help other people see that connection, I think the greater interest we’ll see in people pursuing studies in science,” Johanns said.