Sidetracked with Alex Benson

Artist: Jakob Dylan
Song: Will It Grow

Thriving on his solo career after the break from The Wallflowers, Jakob Dylan (yes, related to Bob Dylan), has a new-ish album out called Seeing Things. The song contains poetic lyrics backed by a flimsy picking acoustic guitar and Jakob’s soothing voice.  It’s safe to say that Jakob Dylan is well emerged out of his father’s shadow.

Grade: B

Artist: Coldplay
Song: Lovers In Japan/Reign
of Love

If you’re a Coldplay fan like myself, and you’re bouncing off the walls anticipating the band’s new release, but already got it online from iheartmusic.com, then there is not much more to say. I have not paid attention to what other critics have said about Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends for fear of opinions influencing my feelings toward it. I wanted to get a good mental grasp about how I feel about the album, and so far I feel pretty damn good about the new sound.

Grade: A-

Artist: My Morning Jacket
Song: I’m Amazed

My Morning Jacket’s new album Evil Urges is receiving a lot of attention and praise. I never was too much a fan of My Morning Jacket, but I can get into this album. The song “I’m Amazed” brings out the southerner in each member, and I almost want to say they sound a tad like a combination of Wilco and Lynyrd Skynyrd. And, I feel like I’m going to piss some people off for saying that.

Grade: B+