Kirkwood remains large part of IU’s culture

Dining, nightlife can be found on 6-block strip

Kirkwood Avenue remains a popular spot for students to eat, shop and enjoy the night life at local bars and pubs.

After moving into the dorms and mapping out the routes to take to class last August, sophomore Rachel Dian and her new college friends walked down to Kirkwood Avenue to see what the city of Bloomington had to offer besides IU’s campus. Kirkwood’s main attractions can be found on a six-block strip, spanning from Indiana Avenue to College Avenue. That first day, the new freshmen visited apparel stores like Urban Outfitters and Steve & Barry’s. Dian still frequents Kirkwood and looks forward to turning 21 so she can party with her friends at the bars.

Kirkwood Avenue has been a part of the college culture in Bloomington for over 80 years, offering a wide range of shopping, dining and nightlife.

“There is a lot to do,” Dian said. “It’s a quaint little area that’s nice
to frequent.”

Dining
In the last few years, students experienced a rejuvenation of Kirkwood, with new dining options such as Uncle D’s New York Pizza, Trulli Flatbread and Noodles & Company setting up shop. With a Dunkin’ Donuts and a Panda Express scheduled to open this year, Kirkwood will be home to over a dozen different eateries, all of which strive to offer a unique experience.

Café Pizzeria has been on the strip since 1953, said Manager Kyle Barker. The locally owned business, which offered the first stromboli in Bloomington, strives to offer patrons a familiar dining experience and quality pizza, he said. Local artist Lee Nading said he has dined at the pizzeria every day since 1976. He enjoys eating his half-saugage-half-pepperoni pizza and looking out the window from his booth.

“People tend to like places with low chances of changing radically,” he said about the restaurant. “(Café Pizzeria) just doesn’t change.”

Contrasting with the 55-year old pizzeria, FARMbloomington opened for business in January 2008 two blocks west of the pizzaria. Events Manager Tracey Walker said FARM, which buys as much locally produced food as it can, brings a “more urban vibe” to Kirkwood. One unique feature FARM offers patrons is seating in the “roots cellar,” which features a “sophisticated basement party vibe,” Walker said. Bands play in the cellar on weekends, he added, and the restaurant is also open for breakfast.

The Village Deli specializes in breakfast and lunch service. In the summer months, patrons can enjoy their breakfast outside on the patio. Village Deli Manager Imi Vitols said his restaurant offers “very good breakfast” and speedy service, along with a casual atmosphere. Vitols said he thinks students make up 80 percent of his clientele. Interacting with all the students is his favorite part of the job, he said.

Soma Coffee House is also located right off Kirkwood and Grant Street and offers lots of vegan alternatives for patrons. The coffeehouse opens early and offers free wireless to students that want to study as they sip on their coffee, Soma Assistant Manager Collin Moses said.

After getting a good meal in their stomachs, IU students may like to hit one or all the bars on the Kirkwood strip. Whether it’s just a gathering of buds, a group celebrating a good grade on a project or a full-fledged bar crawl, students seek Kirkwood first, Kilroy’s Bar & Grill server Brandon Coffman said.

Nightlife
Nick’s English Hut has been open on Kirkwood for 81 years, Manager Niles Hall said. Nick’s is the perfect place to drink a beer and talk IU sports because of its rich history, Bloomington resident Eric Havall said. Another bar patron called it “the quintessential Bloomington bar.”

Hall said patrons can never know what to expect at Nick’s. Harrison Ford, John Walsh and countless athletes have made appearances at the bar in the past, Hall said. On Little 500 weekend in April, patrons were surprised by an unannounced visit by Illinois senator and Democratic presidential hopeful Barack Obama.

“That was pretty neat, you know,” Nick’s bartender Bob Hebenstreit said. “That guy could be the future leader of the free world.”

Upstairs Pub, also a Kirkwood staple, is home of the infamous blue seven-shot cocktail, the AMF. Patrons can shoot pool, play darts and eat complimentary popcorn with friends in a diverse atmosphere that mixes locals and students.

Kilroy’s patio is “the spot” for happy-hour drinking during the warm weather months, Coffman said. He describes the clientele as “mostly greek” and said Two Dollar Tuesdays is one of the best drink specials in Bloomington, where most beer, shots and even some food is two dollars.

“The patio is carefree, and at night it’s nice to relax and have a couple drinks,” he said.

Students wishing to dance or see a live concert can go to Jungle Room, which is part of Uncle Fester’s House of Blooze.