From Chicago to Cincinnati

Midwest cities just hours from Bloomington provide weekend getaways

The Indiana State Museum at 650 W. Washington St. in downtown Indianapolis is situated near the Eiteljorg Museum and the IMAX Theater.

The new and exciting college life is all sorts of fun, but everybody needs an occasional change of pace. Bloomington is within a few driving hours of several cities and towns with much to offer.

Brown County, Ind.
Distance from Bloomington: 20 miles
Google map

For a quick excursion or a weekend getaway, Indiana’s Brown County is a half-hour drive away.

Brown County was established in 1895 as an art colony, according to the Brown County Web site. At the heart of the town lies an open-air shopping center where numerous stores sell everything from socks to hunting gear, antiques to holograms.

And with 23 restaurants and 10 ice cream, candy and nut shops, there’s always something to eat.

For a more adventurous day trip, Brown County is home to Indiana’s largest state park, Brown County State Park.

Brown County has hundreds of guest cabins and thousands of campsites as well as 16 hotels and inns, according to the site.

For hiking, hunting, horseback riding and other outdoor sports, Yellowwood State Forest offers 23,200 acres of pristine wilderness.

“There’s a lot of simple things to do in Brown County, but the park and the shopping are definitely the best,” said sophomore and Nashville resident Chuck Knorr.

Indianapolis
Distance from Bloomington: 50 miles
Google map

For a relaxing urban experience, Indianapolis is an hour and a half north of Bloomington.

Indianapolis is home to several professional sports teams, including the Indiana Pacers and the Indianapolis Colts.

In downtown Indianapolis, shoppers can enjoy Circle Centre Mall. The mall has over 100 stores and restaurants, as well as a movie theater and a large video arcade, according to the city of Indianapolis’ Web site, www.indy.org.

About five miles north of the downtown circle, Broad Ripple Village offers a more relaxed environment for visitors, as well as many unique and exciting options, from ethnic restaurants to unique retailers.

“Broad Ripple is cool because there’s nothing about it that’s totally ordinary, other than the McDonald’s,” said Indianapolis resident Robert Collins. “There’s a lot of really artsy and unusual stores and restaurants.”

Another key ingredient of Broad Ripple’s atmosphere is the Monon trail. Walkers, runners, cyclists and skaters can all find enjoyment on the trail.

Santa Claus, Ind.
Distance from Bloomington: 103 miles
Google map

For a day of fun and thrills, Santa Claus, Ind., is home to Holiday World and Splashin’ Safari. This combination amusement and water park is packed with roller coasters, water slides and other fun attractions, according to the park’s Web site. Tickets are $39.95 for general admission.

“Holiday World and Splashin’ Safari are definitely Spencer County’s most popular attractions, with over one million in attendance last year,” said Melissa Miller, executive director of the Spencer County Visitors Bureau. “The park has free soft drinks, free inner tubes at the water park and free parking, so it’s definitely a good attraction for college students.”

Santa Claus is in Spencer County, where Abraham Lincoln spent his childhood and adolescent years, and the city has several attractions related to the former president, including a replica Lincoln family farm.

Chicago

Distance from Bloomington: 232 miles
Google map

About four hours away, Chicago is perfect for a true big-city experience. With countless shopping and dining options, Chicago offers plenty for visitors. From the “Magnificent Mile” in downtown Chicago to the 26 miles of lakefront and beaches, Chicago is great for an urban getaway or a sunny day on the beaches of Lake Michigan.

Chicago’s largest mall, Water Tower Place, is located in the heart of Chicago’s Magnificent Mile.

Chicago is a frequent stop for touring entertainment and sporting events as well.

IU sophomore Dave Santangelo, who lives in the Chicago area, said sporting traditions like the Cubs and White Sox for baseball and the Bears for football show the “importance and magnitude of the sports tradition that exists in Chicago.”

For food, Santangelo suggests the famous deep-dish Chicago pizza.

“Of course you have to eat Chicago food when you come to Chicago,” he said.

“Starting with our pizza, find any Giordano’s or Lou Malnati’s and you’ll never want to eat pizza anywhere else ever again. Second to our pizza is our beef and hot dogs. I would recommend Portillo’s for both of those, meals you certainly won’t regret.”

Cincinnati, Ohio
Distance from Bloomington: 155 miles
Google map

Roughly three hours away, Cincinnati makes for a nice day trip to Ohio.

There are plenty of fun attractions in or around the city. For example, the Newport Aquarium houses more than 7,000 aquatic creatures that swim in over one million gallons of water, according to the city’s Web site, www.cincinnatiusa.com.

For a more thrilling adventure, King’s Island theme park is located about 24 miles north of Cincinnati. The park has over 80 rides and other attractions, offering fun options for every age group. General admission is $29.99, according to the park’s Web site. The park is open every day through August, with limited events through November, when it closes for the season.

Cincinnati Reds baseball games and Ohio’s version of Coney Island also offer fun options for students.