Former standout Bashore scores goal in Olympic qualifying game for U.S.

Even after graduating, one Hoosier is still showing she knows how to succeed on \nthe field.\nFormer standout midfielder Kayla Bashore has been out of Bloomington since 2005, but her field hockey career is as hot as ever. Bashore scored the first of three goals for the United States in an Olympic-qualifying game in Kazan, Russia. The win over Belgium means the team will be traveling to Beijing this summer.\n“I think scoring a goal in any international game is pretty special for anyone,” Bashore said about her goal in a press release. “I was just glad I could help out my team and that they had faith in me. I’ve not thought too much about what it would be like to compete in the Olympics. I realize it’s an amazing experience, but I also want to play the games like every other game, trying not to put too much emphasis on the games. I just want to take it day by day and enjoy the process.”\nDuring her time at IU, Bashore led the team to their winningest record in school history and their first NCAA tournament appearance during her senior season. She was named an All-American and was unanimously voted the Big Ten Player of the Year her senior season. During her career, Bashore started in all 74 games in which she played.\n“I can’t express to you how honored and proud we are to have Kayla represent our Women’s Olympic team as an Indiana University graduate,” IU coach Amy Robertson said. “She gave everything she could to the IU field hockey program and was a main reason for the quick rise of success that IU experienced from 2001 to 2005.”\nCurrently, the United States ranks No. 10 in the world. Olympic field hockey competition begins in Beijing on Aug. 10 and lasts until \nAug. 22.