Arts fair to feature more than 60 artists

COURTESY PHOTO
Artists display their artwork during the 2004 Arts Fair on the Square.

Sixty-two different artists will line the streets outside the Monroe County courthouse from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. this Saturday during the 28th annual Arts Fair on the Square.\nThe fair, which takes place in conjunction with Taste of Bloomington, offers a variety of media, artists and experiences to the 10,000-plus people who attend each year.\n“Honestly, Arts Fair on the Square has become one of the signature, most anticipated arts events in South Central Indiana,” said Ed Vande Sande, \ndevelopment and marketing director for the Bloomington Area Arts Council. “We draw people from across the country, this year from as far away as New Mexico. It’s an extraordinarily successful event.”\nOne hundred twenty-seven artists applied to obtain a spot in the fair, which Vande Sande said they have purposefully kept small in order to remain in the space outside the courthouse. A community jury then reviewed the applicants and selected 62 artists. \nVande Sande said this year there is a wide mix of types of art, including ceramic art, fabric, sculpture, painting, jewelry and metal work. Though many of the artists are regional, artists from all over the country will attend, including many from Ohio, Kentucky and Illinois.\n“(This year) we have such a good mix of local, regional and national artists and have types of media people are not used to seeing at all.”\nVande Sande said the Arts Fair on the Square started with a small group of artists who approached the Bloomington Area Arts Council to create a display to “raise awareness of the incredible amount of art” in the surrounding area and has grown tremendously since its first year.\n“It’s turned into such a wonderful thing,” he said.\nVande Sande said the event continues to be a place to experience the “rich culture of Bloomington,” and local artist Martina Celerin agreed. Celerin is a fiber artist who creates three-dimensional tapestries and has participated in this particular show since 2003. She has entered a variety of other shows including the Fourth Street Fair; the Broad Ripple Art Fair; and the Penrod Art Fair, where she won best in show. Celerin said the Arts Fair on the Square is one of the smaller shows she does, but the perfect way for her to start her summer.\n“I enjoy it so much because it’s such a pleasant environment and a well-put-together show,” she said. “It’s pleasant from an artist’s perspective and also pleasant from a buyer’s perspective. It’s just a lot of great art from a lot of local people.”\nAlthough the fair originated 28 years ago, this year it has several new concepts. Among these are a nationally recognized clown and face painter, a feature booth on Western art, a feature on digital art and an additional 12 booths that were added after it was agreed Sixth Street would be closed for the event. In addition, Vande Sande said the connection with the courthouse this year is especially important in the celebration.\n“It’s a pretty unique and spectacular courthouse and we take full advantage of that,” he said. “This is the 100th birthday of the Monroe County courthouse, which makes it even a little more fun for celebrating.”\nVande Sande said the event is a year-round effort that takes more than 100 hours of preparation to put together. However, as Saturday approaches, he is confident it will be nothing but a success for all involved.\n“There is a tremendously wide appeal and lots of activity,” he said. “It’s very much a family-oriented event and the fact that we do this in conjunction with a Taste of Bloomington makes for a very wonderful day.”