Monday, June 17

Scotty’s Brewhouse collecting donations for overseas troops

Fundraiser in its 4th year in business

Along with food and drink, Scotty’s Brewhouse is also serving up patriotism for the soldiers in the Indiana Army National Guard’s 76th Infantry Brigade through an organization called the Shoebox Brigade. \nFrom now until May 19, donations of various small items will be accepted for the brigade at Scotty’s, 302 N. Walnut St., to send to troops overseas.\nThe Shoebox Brigade was founded in 2005 by Mary Davis and Bridget Wiseman, a mother and daughter team that comes from a family of veterans.\n“My husband served during Vietnam, both (my father and my husband’s father) served in WWII, our son served in the Army (and) Bridget’s husband is a Marine,” Davis said. “It is important to let those that are serving know that we appreciate all that they are doing.”\nThe group, operated by the American Legion Lowell Beaver Post 470 in Fishers, Ind., has come a long way. \n“My mother and I came up with the idea when my dad’s old unit, including young men my age and a few that served with my dad during Vietnam in the 1438 out of Camp Atterbury, was being deployed to Afghanistan and then later to Iraq,” Wiseman said. “The first year, the response received from our local community was overwhelming.”\nThe Shoebox Brigade got its name from a period of time when the largest package that could be sent to Iraq was the size of a shoebox. Currently, 3,400 soldiers in the 76th Brigade are deployed, and it is one of the largest deployed units from Indiana since World War II. \n“Before the soldiers even left for their duty, we had collected enough to send them packages for the entirety of their stay overseas,” Wiseman said. \nMany schools are also participating in collecting donations. Fishers resident Trish Lineback, whose husband is stationed in Iraq, convinced her daughter’s school, New Britton Elementary, to participate in the drive. \n“I donated a ton of items,” Lineback said. “I spent $163 at Walmart. Snacks, hygiene items, drinks, handheld games, sanitary items for the women and magazines.” \nThere are four Scotty’s locations in cities throughout Indiana, including Muncie, Indianapolis, West Lafayette and Bloomington. All are participating in the project. \n“The expectation is that we would put a smile on a soldier’s face and hopefully provide some things that they need or want,” Davis said.\nScott Wise, owner of Scotty’s Brewhouse, supported the cause to help out the communities and those tied with \nthe Brewhouse. \n“I personally have a few former employees in the military and, just by chance, one happens to be in this platoon,” Wise said. “We collect at each restaurant. I personally donated to a care package that we sent to one of our former employees and friends of \nScotty’s Brewhouse.”\nAll donations can be dropped off at the entrance of Scotty’s. This year is expected to hit a record high in donations, especially with the help from the town of Fishers, four Scotty’s locations, several local schools and Texas Roadhouse in Fishers.\nThe U.S. military has specific rules on what items can be accepted. The list of items can be found at www.myspace.com/shoe\nboxbrigade. \n“Regardless of how many items we collect, I believe it is very successful as a reminder to all of us that these men and women are fighting for our freedoms and need our support,” Wise said. “It helps reinforce to the soldiers that their friends, families and Americans back home support their tour of duty.”