Rootin fo’ Roots

With quality synths, dark beats and darker spits, the Roots get back to what hip-hop and rap originally set out to achieve. Rap used to be about standing up for something real and screaming it from the top of a building. Jewelry, alcohol, drugs, sex and mindless violence have taken hold of mainstream rap these days. Rising Down is a breath of fresh activism ranging from global warming to corruption.

“Rising Down” is The Roots’ 10th album, and arguably their best yet. Their album title comes from William T. Vollmann’s book “Rising Up and Rising Down: Some Thoughts on Violence, Freedom and Urgent Means.” Similar to their album “Tipping Point”, a takeoff from Malcom Gladwell’s book “The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference.”

Every song on this album is solid. The Roots did not just produce an album with one hit; they produced an album with 13 slam-dunk hits that flow flawlessly together. Much adieu has to be given to the several guest artists featured on the album including Common, Mos Def, Peedi Peedi and Dice Raw .

With lyrics like “My mother had an abortion with the wrong child” their voice is hard-hitting and moves quick to the next swing. It’s hard to pick out a top song to discuss, but the song Rising Up is very well produced with spacey background vocals and a strong chorus from Dice Raw.

I have always considered The Roots to have exceptional instrumental talent, intelligence and wit within their lyrics. But I am taken aback with this album. In fact, I am blown away. The Roots let you know that they worked extremely hard to produce this album,even having some controversy with band members and with their record label. This is only their second album with the Def Jam label. The first track is a recording of them arguing over something and leads into the song “Rising Down.”

And note, the best way to listen to this album is to put on them big headphones, blast the volume and let The Roots take you into one of the most ecstatic rap albums of this year.