Religious organizations provide spiritual outlets for students

FaithFest during Welcome Week showcases different denominations

Higher education is a way to enrich the mind, body and soul. Leaving home allows for more independence and a greater emphasis on students’ personal choices. IU is home to many religious organizations that enable students to interact and support one another in a common faith.

FaithFest, held during move-in and Welcome Week, allows religious organizations on campus to get together and show the students on campus what their ministries are about.

Christian/Nondenominational
For Christians on campus, there are a variety of organizations to choose from. One is Campus Crusade for Christ. “CRU” is a nondenominational Christian organization in which students are able to participate in a friendly society of common believers.

“It exists as a spiritual resource – for students to help one another grow deeper in understanding and relationship through Bible studies, discussion, mentoring, speakers, musical worship, retreats, evangelism and fellowship,” said Brian Beesley, a senior who has been a member of CRU since his freshman year.

CRU is open to anyone who wants to participate. Students are encouraged to be as involved as much as they want.

“Those who show a lot of interest, maturity and faithfulness may be challenged to step into a leadership role, but there is really no membership,” Beesley said.

Melissa Murphy, a junior who has also been going to CRU since her freshman year, said, “It’s great to just help grow in my knowledge of Jesus Christ. It was the best way I could have possibly imagined to find a core group of Christians who shared the same values as me, still liked to have fun, and who weren’t legalistic.”

Students are encouraged to check out the first CRU meeting on Friday, August 29, at 7:30 p.m. in Woodburn Hall 100 and see what the organization is like.

“There will be live music and some tips on how to survive on campus from students who have been there. A lawn party with refreshments, games and hang out time to follow in Woodlawn Field,” Beesley said.

Check out www.iuccc.org for more information on how to get connected, or look for messages written in sidewalk chalk during Welcome Week.

Another organization for Christians is Christian Student Fellowship.

“CSF is a maturing Christ-centered ministry on campus that is constantly adapting to the needs of the students,” said four-year member and senior Kaleb Throckmorton.

http://www.idsnews.com/news/mfiles/photos/0000-cr1335373164.jpgMembers are encouraged to live in CSF’s Christian housing environment, which offers help and guidance from campus ministers who also provide mentoring to students within the household.

With a mission to know God in a way “without limits,” the group uses worship, service, prayer, meditation and retreats to learn more about God and live better and more fulfilling lives.

The group holds Encounter, a worship service open to all, every Thursday night at 8 p.m. during the school year.

Individuals who want to join the house can visit the CSF house located on the corner of North Jordan Avenue and Fee Lane and speak to one of the staff members.

“If you just want to attend CSF functions without living there, then just go to the functions,” said Throckmorton. “All you need to do is show up.”

For more information, check out www.iucsf.com/index.html.

Judaism
For those of the Jewish faith, the Helene G. Simon Hillel Center, located at 730 E. Third St., is often called “your Jewish Home Away from Home,” according to its Web site. The house, apart from offering religious services, serves “Free Matzah Ball Soup” for those feeling sick, according to the site.

HillelPart of a nationwide organization, the Hillel House offers a religious, cultural and social forum for the Jewish community. Hillel strives to unite the Jewish community. There are many groups within the center, such as the “Mitzvah Corps,” that participate in community service projects as well as diverse social programming from Laser tag to Hanukkah parties, according to the site.

Both reform and conservative religious services are offered with special means and programs for holidays. For Passover, multiple Seders are presented, catering especially to those who wish to have a kosher meal plan for the entire week of Passover.

Students at the Hillel Center dish up food during a dinner for the center’s Business Leadership Initiative group. Reform and conservative religious service options are also available for the High Holy Days, and dinners for Erev Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur.

The Center is open weekdays from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m., with Shabbat services for Reform, Conservative and Orthodox students at 6:15 p.m. on Fridays. On Sunday, the house is open from noon to 8 p.m. For more information, visit www.iuhillel.org/

Islam
The Muslim Student Union allows for students to worship together on campus.
“We aim to please God by following His Book and Messenger,” said Maryam Khan, a junior and two-year member of the group. “It provides a welcoming environment for all Muslims.”

The group is open to all who wish to join, but does have a $5 membership fee.
The group participates in the Fast-a-Thon, a charity event for the Bloomington Community Kitchen and informational program about Islam, as well as Islamic Awareness Month.

“Religion is an everyday part of life and the MSU helps keep it that way,” said Khan.
For more information, visit www.indiana.edu/~msuweb/index.php.

Going to college does not mean sacrificing one’s faith. IU is an open environment that allows for the cultivation of one’s faith. Students can attend FaithFest during Welcome Week to learn more.

More religious organizations

Catholicism
St. Paul Catholic Center
The Newman Center at Indiana University, 1413 E. 17th St.
(812) 339-5561
Strive to achieve holiness and excellence in ministry through liturgies, engaging education and formation through social gatherings.
Mass 7 days a week, times vary
www.hoosiercatholic.org

Presbyterian
Center for University Ministry
1514 E. Third St.
(812) 332-3386
Ecumenical campus ministry serving five denominations.
www.indiana.edu/~ministry/

Hindu
Hindu Temple of Central Indiana
3350 N. German Church Road
Indianapolis
(317) 891-9199
Religious services available
7 days a week.
www.htci.org

Unitarian
Unitarian Universalist Church
2120 North Fee Lane, (812) 332-3695
First Service: 9 to 10 a.m.
Fellowship Hour: 10 to 11:15 a.m. Second Service: 11:15 a.m. to 12:15 p.m.
Draws on all religions, celebrates diverse beliefs.
www.uubloomington.org

Online directory
Visit www.idsnews.com/religious for a full religious directory.