Students play favorites with University gyms at SRSC, HPER

Although IU provides students with two similar workout facilities, senior Natalie Rutigliano has her favorite.

“HPER has a laid-back feel to it,” Rutigliano said. “The SRSC looks like a workout video.”

Both recreational facilities offer similar exercise equipment, but students rarely rotate their time between the two.

Many students who work out at the School of Health, Physical Education, and Recreation instead of the Student Recreational Sports Center say the atmosphere and the programs influence their decision.

Completed in 1961 as an addition to the Men’s Gymnasium, the HPER is home to the Wildermuth Intramural Center and Royer Pool.

The SRSC, completed in 1995, grants registered students automatic membership. The SRSC also includes the Counsilman-Billingsley Aquatic Center, which consists of an eight-lane Olympic-size pool and diving well. The complex is located near Wright and Teter quads on Law Lane.

For some students who go to the SRSC, it is factors like space for parking, classes offered and equipment available affect their decision.

Freshman Julie Bollinger lives in Wright Quad, less than a five-minute walk from the SRSC.

“I like coming to the group classes they have here and all the equipment they have for us to use,” Bollinger said.

The SRSC offers group exercise sessions ranging from strength-focused kickboxing and cardio classes to relaxing yoga and pilates samplers, according to the SRSC’s website. Sessions are held seven days a week and last between 30 and 75 minutes.

Some students who live off-campus prefer the SRSC because it has sufficient parking.

“HPER doesn’t really have any parking,” sophomore Joe O’Donnell said. “It’s just too small for how many kids use it.”

Others choose the SRSC because of its equipment.

“It’s probably a 25-minute walk for me,” sophomore Jenny Smoak said. “There are more machines, so in that sense it’s easier.”

Senior Matt Miller prefers the HPER because it is less crowded.

“It’s busy later at night, but it’s usually not that big of a deal,” Miller said.

Senior Jennifer Mitchell dislikes the SRSC because, she said, many people are more interested in looking good than working out. Some girls who exercise there put on makeup and dress up to work out, she said.

“I want to get sweaty and work out,” she said. “I don’t want to put on a show.”

The busiest times for both the HPER and the SRSC are between 5 and 7 p.m. The HPER is seldom filled to capacity, but the limit is more likely to be reached during the first two weeks of the semester and around spring break, said Kyle Swinford, a Recreational Sports employee.

Swinford said students aren’t busy with classes during the first two weeks of the semester and have more time to exercise.