New director to take helm of IDS, Arbutus

Ron Johnson

After a year-long search, the IU School of Journalism announced Ron Johnson as the new IU student media director. Johnson, who has worked as a student publications director and adviser to the Kansas State Collegian newspaper, will start July 1.\nJohnson will oversee the Indiana Daily Student, Arbutus yearbook and INside magazine.\nInterim Student Media Director Nancy Comiskey has served in the position since the death of former director Dave Adams in June 2007. Johnson, who was a student and friend of Adams’, said while he is pleased to be the new director, the appointment is also bittersweet.\n“We cheered for each other when we had the opportunity,” he said of Adams. “It’s sad, the occasion that brought this about.”\nSchool of Journalism Dean Brad Hamm said Johnson’s career path matched Adams’ in an interesting way. Both were at Fort Hays State University in Kansas and then moved on to Kansas State University. In his new position, Johnson will follow in Adams’ footsteps to IU. \nAdams was known for his commitment to protecting student journalists’ First Amendment rights. Bonnie Brownlee, associate dean of undergraduate studies at the School of Journalism, was on the student media director search committee and said she expects Johnson to have the same passion.\n“I can imagine that he will be someone who believes that student media is truly independent,” she said.\nBrownlee said Johnson’s presence in the newsroom during his two visits during the spring semester helped him stand out.\n“We could see that he connected very well with everyone, especially with students,” she said. “He couldn’t keep himself out of the newsroom. He wanted to come and be a part of the newsroom.”\nBrownlee said while she is excited to have Johnson join the staff, it was important to note Comiskey’s “outstanding job” as interim director. \n“(Student media’s) awards ... couldn’t have happened without Nancy being there,” Brownlee said. “She came in under very difficult circumstances.”\nBut Johnson said he looks forward to meeting with students to share his goals and to hear theirs.\n“I’m a firm believer that we help the students with their vision ... (and) to help that along through planning, coaching and critiquing,” he said.