Classes that ROCK

From rock ’n’ roll history to yoga, IU offers atypical classes for students

Rock music professors Glenn Gass and Andy Hollinden wait outside the Bluebird nightclub on Dec. 6, 2007, where they played their first show in over a decade.

Anyone who’s flipped through the IU undergraduate course bulletin can testify to the overwhelming number of classes available to students. With classes on topics from astronomy to human sexuality, rock history to bowling, it can be tough to decide on a schedule. But some classes at IU have become student favorites during the years.

IU’s renowned Jacobs School of Music offers a number of rock history courses that quickly reach capacity each semester. Professor of Music Glenn Gass, who created one of the country’s first rock history classes a few decades ago, teaches the semester-long course Z202 “Rock History II: The 1960s,” among others. Andy Hollinden, a music professor, teaches the next phase in rock history in his class Z301 “Rock Music in the ’70s and ’80s.”

“Everyone likes music,” Hollinden said. “When students learn a little more about music, they learn listening skills that they will be applying the rest of their lives. They’ll get into music they may have never heard of before or music they thought they hated, and they become more accepting.”

Though rock history courses are not completely unique to IU, the scope, depth and sheer number of rock music courses offered is rare, Hollinden said. Gass teaches a course solely on The Beatles, and Hollinden teaches courses on both Jimi Hendrix and Frank Zappa. Many universities only teach such classes from a sociological standpoint and don’t spend as much time listening to the actual music, Hollinden said.
“We teach (rock) music courses through a music school, and that’s the difference between IU and other universities,” he said. “We talk about their music. These guys were modern-day composers, and I approach these people as major artists.”

Music courses aren’t the only popular history classes at IU. The online course “Traditions & Cultures of IU” gives students a glimpse into the University’s history by highlighting important dates and campus treasures. The online class has filled every semester and even overflowed some years. The online textbook is accentuated by photos from the IU Archives and film and audio clips, said Eric Nichols, who teaches
the course.

“The major feedback is that a lot of students really like the course and walk away feeling connected to the campus because they know a lot more about the institution and how it began,” he said. “Students also like the flexibility of the class since there aren’t set class times.”

The School of Health, Physical Education, and Recreation offers an array of nontraditional classes. The school’s Department of Kinesiology boasts a variety of exercise-based classes, including yoga, weight training and fencing. The Department of Recreation, Park, and Tourism Studies offers more than 30 weekend excursions in conjunction with IU Outdoor Adventures, from rock climbing and white-water rafting to caving. The department also offers a weeklong ski trip during spring break that allows students to get class credit. These trips are open to all students, regardless of major, and some come with a fee, said Associate Professor Sarah Young, the department’s curriculum coordinator.

“It’s a nice blend of doing something fun and learning something and getting college credit for it,” she said.