Bugg signs with Bengals

A season after reclaiming the Old Oaken Bucket and playing in a bowl game, former Hoosiers are now looking to make their mark in the NFL.\nWide receiver James Hardy and defensive back Tracy Porter were each selected in April 26’s NFL Draft, while defensive back Leslie Majors has signed a rookie contract with the Chicago Bears. Long snapper Tim Bugg is just the latest Hoosier to join the NFL, signing with the Cincinnati Bengals.\n“I’m excited for this opportunity with the Bengals,” said Bugg. “I’m going to do everything I can to make the roster.” \nAs an undrafted free agent, Bugg was invited to the Bengals’ rookie mini camp May 2-4 on a tryout basis. Bugg impressed coaches enough to sign a two-year rookie contract. Next for Bugg is mini camp followed by the team’s training camp, which takes place during the last week of July in Georgetown, Ky. The team will cut down the roster to 53 players at that time.\nBugg was a significant and appreciated member of a special-teams unit that converted all 49 extra-point attempts and 21-of-23 field goals last season. \n“I am extremely proud of Tim for all of his accomplishments,” kicker Austin Starr said in a statement. “I’ve told him many times how much I appreciated having him on the field goal unit, as he was an integral part of our success.”\nBugg arrived in Bloomington in the fall of 2003 as a recruited walk-on from Penn High School in Mishawaka, Ind. Through hard work and determination Bugg earned a scholarship and a starting position beginning with the 2005 season. As a third-year starter and senior leader last season, Bugg was a key factor in the Hoosier’s success.\n“We’re really happy for Tim,” IU coach Bill Lynch said in a statement. “He had a great deal to do with the success of our football team last year – not only in his play but also in his leadership. Tim really directed the group of specialists.”\nBugg attributes much of his success to his younger brother Brandon, the team’s backup long snapper. He says always having someone around him to practice with helped develop his skills and remain sharp.\n“A lot of my success is due to my brother,” he said. ”He is a great asset as a training partner. We keep ourselves tuned up.”