Team continues spring season in Bucks College Cup Tournament

Players to split up in order to spread around game time

The Hoosiers will take a day trip this weekend to Pontiac, Mich., to participate in the Bucks College Cup Tournament. They are set to face Oakland, followed by Big Ten rival Michigan on Saturday.\nThe tournament is set to take place at the Ultimate Soccer Arena, the home field of the Michigan Bucks of the United Soccer League’s Premier Development League. The arena is the largest of its kind in North America at 267,000 square feet and features two full-sized indoor fields and one \nsmaller field. \nIU coach Mike Freitag said IU was invited as a “drawing card” for the event. The games will be shortened to half-hour halves and five-minute halftimes, but Freitag is still looking forward to seeing how his team works together on the field. He is also breaking his team into two separate teams in order to give playing time to everyone. Each team is set to face either of the opponents. \n“I’m kind of torn,” Freitag said. “I want to use the spring to work on the first team, but I also wanted to give the other group a chance to play. This weekend allows everyone a chance to \nbe seen.”\nSeveral seldom-seen faces have already had playing time so far this spring season, including freshmen. In the Hoosiers’ first two matches of the exhibition season, three of the four goals scored came off the feet of freshmen Andy Adlard and Alec Purdie. \nFreitag is looking forward to facing conference rival Michigan, but stated he simply anticipates any match between the Hoosiers and a \ncompetitive team.\n“(Michigan) will be a good game,” Freitag said. “They’re a quality opponent. We really just want to play good games in the spring. The spring is a time for growth, you know, just \nlike outside.”