Monday, June 17

Softball team ‘ready to throw the final punch' this weekend

Like a boxer who gets knocked down from countless jabs, the IU softball team often finds itself at rock bottom. \nBut no matter how many times it has hit the canvas, the team has always fought its way back.\nAfter a blow from Ball State on Tuesday, the Hoosiers (12-27, 2-8 Big Ten) strive to rebound in conference play this weekend. Labeled as critical contests, IU will contend in two-game sets with Northwestern and Michigan State beginning Friday in Evanston, Ill.\nIU coach Stacey Phillips, whose club is second-to-last in the Big Ten standings, said her Hoosiers are ready to throw the fatal punch. \n“There’s plenty of season left for us to make a run, but now is the time,” Phillips said. “We control our own destiny.”\nIn the midst of the Big Ten season, the Cream and Crimson’s struggles linger over its shoulders. Only one everyday player – Jennilee Huddleston – is hitting more than .300 from the plate. Only one 20-game starter – Sarah Padove – has yet to record an error in the field. And only one pitcher, Monica Wright, logs an earned run average less than 4.00. \nBut the aforementioned are only small examples of the Hoosiers’ problems. The frequent losses have taken a toll on this team mentally, including one of its leaders.\n“It’s been very difficult for me since it’s my last season on the team,” captain and infielder Tory Yamaguchi said. “We’re trying to battle through this the best we can and not focus on our mistakes.”\nYamaguchi, who was drafted professionally earlier this season, is leading by example. The Woodland Hills, Calif., native made a sacrifice for her squad by switching from catcher to first baseman for the first time in her collegiate career. Because of her intelligence in the field, Phillips frequently moves Yamaguchi back and forth depending on the opposition. She has thrown out 13 runners attempting to steal, leads the team in homeruns (five) and is tied for most runs batted in (20).\n“As a leader, I am more about setting an example by my play than by my voice,” Yamaguchi said. \nGoing on the road isn’t going to make things easier for Yamaguchi and her teammates. The Hoosiers are 9-20 away from Bloomington, but Phillips said her club can overcome the obstacle. \n“The road schedule is somewhat grueling in the Big Ten,” Phillips said. “We’re kind of used to traveling back and forth, so we’re more than able to tackle the challenges ahead.”\nIU enters today’s competition after an 8-0 performance by the Mid-Atlantic Conference’s Ball State. The Cardinals flew past IU behind sophomore Elizabeth Milian’s strong performance inside the pitcher’s circle. \n“We can’t and won’t dwell on one game,” junior infielder Julie DiNallo said. “We don’t want any domino effects and we’re just going to continue to fight.”\nAnd that’s what the Hoosiers have been doing all along – fighting.\n“We’re trying to stay focused mentally through these tough times,” DiNallo said. “Northwestern and Michigan State are both very good teams, but we’re ready to surprise some people.”