Hoosiers to face in-state competition at Notre Dame

-From IDS reports \nWhile several thousand students will be at Bill Armstrong Stadium this weekend, the men’s soccer team will not. The Hoosiers will instead travel to Fort Wayne where they will face their top in-state competitor, Notre Dame. \nAlthough IU leads the overall series with a record of 24-4-2, Notre Dame has given the Hoosiers trouble in the past few seasons. Two of Notre Dame’s four victories against IU were in the last three years, including a dramatic 5-4 victory in 2006 at the foot of standout Joseph Lapira. Lapira signed a contract with the Norwegian team Nybergsund of the Adeccoligaen at the end of last season and will not be participating in spring games. \nIn their last meeting, the Hoosiers dropped the then-No. 4 Fighting Irish, 3-2, in South Bend. Freshman forward Neil Wilmarth scored his first career goal and the winning point for the Hoosiers after junior forward Kevin Noschang and freshman midfielder Rich Balchan tied things up at two. \nNotre Dame advanced to the third round of the NCAA’s last season before getting knocked off by eventual national champion Wake Forest. The Hoosiers were knocked out in the first round by Bradley. \nThis spring, the Hoosiers boast a record of 2-0-2, defeating University of Illinois-Chicago and Michigan and tying Louisville and Oakland. Both IU and Notre Dame are scheduled to face the Mexican Youth National Team later this month.