Briefs from around the state

Gospel duo to receive Indiana’s highest award

INDIANAPOLIS – Singers Bill and Gloria Gaither will receive Indiana’s highest award for their contributions to gospel music.\nGov. Mitch Daniels will present the Sachem Award to the Gaithers during a ceremony at the Indiana State Museum on Wednesday.\nThe Gaithers have won eight Grammy Awards and have collaborated on more than 700 songs. The couple lives in Alexandria, where they have raised three children. \nGov. Daniels reinstated the Sachem Award in 2005. Recent recipients include former UCLA basketball coach John Wooden and former Notre Dame president Rev. Theodore M. Hesburgh.\nWorkers injured at Indianapolis airport

INDIANAPOLIS – Two workers were injured Tueday when their scissor lift tipped over while they were working on a parking garage for the Indianapolis International Airport’s new midfield terminal.\nAirport spokeswoman Susan Sullivan said one of the workers was “fairly critically injured” Tuesday morning. The men fell between 15 and 20 feet. Sullivan said they suffered back injuries.\nDeputy project manager Jay McQueen said the men were conscious when they were taken to a hospital. Their names were not available.\nThe workers were installing electrical conduits when they fell. McQueen said their lift was moving when it apparently tipped on a ramp.

Cop sentenced for reckless driving, interference with reporting

MUNCIE – A former city police officer was sentenced to probation after pleading guilty to reckless driving for wrecking his squad car while showing off for three female college students riding with him.\nJason S. Lyons also pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of interference with reporting a crime as part of an agreement with prosecutors. Muncie City Court Judge Linda Ralu Wolf suspended a one-year jail sentence, which Lyons will spend on unsupervised probation.\nLyons resigned from Muncie police after the Aug. 28 crash, police Sgt. Michael Engle said.\nPolice said the six-year veteran was driving as fast as 70 miles per hour after agreeing to give the Ball State University students a ride back to their dorms from a convenience store near campus. Witnesses said they heard Lyons tell the students to leave the area after hitting a curb and crashing, police said.\nLyons denied to other officers at the scene that he had passengers in the car.\nThe crash did more than $10,000 damage to the squad car, and one of the students suffered a head cut, police said.