Big Red ticket inaugurated

Members of the Big Red ticket get sworn in Monday evening after a lengthy elections process. Big Red was named winners of the IUSA election after the IUSA Supreme Court disqualified the Kirkwood ticket for violating six election codes.

Following more than a month of turbulent times for the IU Student Association, president-elect Luke Fields hopes to restore legitimacy to the organization.\n“I find it summarily necessary that we not dwell on the past successes and difficulties,” Fields said, “but instead shift our focus forward and find what it is exactly we desire this Association become.”\nThe Big Red ticket was inaugurated as the new IUSA executives Monday evening at the Indiana Memorial Union Solarium.\nThe inauguration came a little more than a week after the IUSA Supreme Court disqualified the election-winning Kirkwood ticket from the elections. The IUSA Supreme Court found Kirkwood in violation of six different election codes. Only three violations were needed for disqualification.\nJoe DeJean, former IUSA vice president, reminded Fields and the rest of the Big Red ticket to never forget who they truly represent.\n“No matter how deep you get into the administration and the faculty decisions and all the things you’re going to be involved in next year,” he said, “make sure to never lose sight of who you are and who you really represent.”\nFields reiterated to the audience that as a ticket they have not lost sight of their goals and dedication to and for the student body.\n“A transparent dedicated executive must first be committed to his fellow students,” he said, “then perhaps to himself.”