Monday, June 17

Ball State’s pitching fries Hoosiers, 8-0

The Hoosiers’ plan wasn’t to just keep their heads up mentally, but also to play solid softball as the Big Ten tournament approaches. But reoccurring, unbalanced attacks have the cream and crimson perplexed as run production has dwindled. Stellar pitching from their opponents don’t help either. \nAfter an impressive pitching performance from Ball State’s Tiffany Garofano against Miami (Ohio), the Cardinals flew behind sophomore pitcher Elizabeth Milian as the team clobbered the Hoosiers 8-0 in six innings. The loss marked the 12th time IU (12-28) has been shut out this season. \nIn addition to performing well at the plate, Milian’s pitching prowess carried Ball State’s attack. With an earned run average under 3.00, Milian threw every pitch on Tuesday, surrendering only four hits and recording four strikeouts. \n“She (Milian) was right around the plate,” IU coach Stacey Phillips said. “We let some pitches go by that we really could of have handled.” \nAt the dish, Milian, a Grand Blanc, Mich., native, went 1 for 2 with two walks. \nThe only shining moment offensively for IU was senior third baseman Jennilee Huddleston’s double in the second inning. Huddleston’s extra base hit ties her for seventh on IU’s the all-time career doubles’ list. But the Hoosiers couldn’t unfurl Milian after Huddleston’s hit as Milian kept her composure and mowed down the next three batters in succession. \n“It’s tough because we played so well on Saturday and kind of let down (yesterday),” Huddleston said. “Easiest thing to do is to come back out fired up this weekend.” \nThe Hoosiers drop to 5-5 in April with no consistent performances on record. Even though Tuesday’s game was an out-of-conference matchup, Huddleson said the team is still struggling to find consistent play. \n“It’s not good to be inconsistent,” Huddleston said. “We definitely can learn from our mistakes.” \nPhillips’ squad had high hopes entering yesterday’s game because of the magic junior pitcher Monica Wright sparked from the mound against Ohio State. Wright, the No. 1 pitcher in the Hoosiers’ rotation, logged a one-hitter against the Buckeyes and posted her second shutout of the season. But the Hoosiers couldn’t ride their pitching against Ball State as Phillips’ rotation went flat, consequently calling upon four pitchers for the second time this season. \n“It’s just aggravating coming off a good win and taking a step back,” senior center fielder Julia Hamilton said. \nUp next, the Hoosiers will head to Evanston, Ill., and East Lansing, Mich., for conference games against Northwestern and Michigan State, respectively. \nHamilton, the team’s lead-off hitter, said even though the Hoosiers aren’t winning, the team has to stay positive down the stretch. \n“It’s obviously mental toughness,” Hamilton said. “We just mentally have to stay consistent every game.”