An equation for quality

ca. 2005 --- Top by Bonnie Strauss, jeans by Hudson Jeans, necklace by Curve, earrings by Vionett, ring by Lorraine Schwartz and styling by Jessica Paster, makeup by Troy Jensen and hair by Robert Vetica. --- Image by

After enduring the disastrous releases of “Glitter” and “Charmbracelet,” Mariah Carey came back strong in 2005 with “The Emancipation of Mimi.” Although the wear of going strong for a decade and a half could be heard in Mariah’s voice, her shifted focus on “Mimi” from adult contemporary to a club groove proved successful. There was indeed a place in the mainstream airwaves for the R&B diva. Her latest release E=MC2 continues on the same path that brought Mariah back to success.

Like “Mimi,” E=MC2 sticks with a club-friendly sound that is immediately established in the opening tracks. Guest appearances from Damian Marley and Young Jeezy keep the club flow going over a steady drum machine while Mariah sings about accentuating her body and her tight-fitting jeans. Opener “Migrate” bumps well and could get any club going.

Although the club sound has proved successful for Mariah, she’s more convincing on the tracks that aren’t so club-oriented. Chart-topper “Touch My Body” and Jermaine Dupri-produced “Last Kiss” both feature the familiar backbeat pace and groove of vintage Mariah. Album closer “I Wish You Well” recalls her adult contemporary work, reminiscent of her Jackson 5 cover “I’ll Be There.” Mariah’s voice even momentarily falters, yet it seems to work to her advantage in this stunning ballad.

There are several moments where, through all the production, listeners can hear the decline of Mariah’s voice, which can be thin and painfully wispy. Yet Mariah redeems herself in moments such as those when she vocally ascends, singing “If there’s a camera up in here / Then it’s goin’ leave with me when I do” in “Touch My Body.” Nothing too special, but it’s a Mariah trademark that keeps bringing listeners back with its familiarity and complementary sound over her R&B groove.

Despite her worn-out voice, the album hits more than it misses. E=MC2 is another strong effort that, while it may not rival her earlier work, is still good for multiple listens. And no, Mariah is not Beyoncé. But the stronger moments of E=MC2 show that even in 2008, worn voice and all, few can work an R&B bounce like Mariah Carey.