Monday, June 17

Wright’s performance on the mound dooms Drake

After their 4-9 spring break trip to the Sunshine State, the Hoosiers retuned to Bloomington in a winning fashion Thursday against Drake. \nThe Hoosiers defeated the Bulldogs 1-0, largely because of a critical mistake in the bottom of the sixth inning by Drake’s defense. After junior second baseman Julie DiNallo blasted a base hit into center field, lead-off hitter junior Julia Hamilton bunted down the third baseline. Hamilton’s “small ball” ultimately led to a “W” for the Hoosiers. Bulldogs’ substitute third baseman Carrie Hatfield charged the bunt, but mistakenly threw the ball into right field, enabling IU’s Dinallo to score the winning run. \n“The name of the game is capitalizing on mistakes the other team makes, and that’s what we did,” IU coach Stacey Phillips said. “The team stayed in the moment each inning of play and we have to continue doing that in the games to come.” \nThursday afternoon’s game marked sophomore left fielder Kelli Ritchison’s first career start and, consequently, she was tested late in the ball game. With Drake’s last chance to tie the game in the top of the seventh, designated player Erin Mollohan sent a pitch to left field where Ritchison, who took a 360-degree turn as the ball was in flight, made a jaw-dropping catch.\n“It was an ugly play,” Ritchison said. “Thankfully, I caught the ball, and am glad we came out with a win.” \nRitchison, who went 0-2 from the plate and caught four balls hit to left field, wasn’t too hyped up when Phillips told her she was getting the start. \n“I was really nervous, yet excited for our first home game and to get my shot,” Ritchison said. “I actually didn’t know I was starting until we arrived at the field.” \nIU starting pitcher Monica Wright, who pitched seven scoreless innings, helped carry the Hoosiers to victory. Despite the lack of offense early in the game, the Hoosiers rallied around their pitcher, watching her record three strikeouts, allow one walk, and only give up two hits out of 24 batters faced. \n“On a day like today the defense was just phenomenal and I put the pitch where I was told,” Wright said. “I just tried to keep my composure out there and throw the ball one pitch at a time.” \nHailing from Morrison, Ill., Wright is excelling on all fronts on the mound. In 16 appearances this season, the Hoosiers’ veteran pitcher has struck out 39 batters with a 3.40 earned run average. \nThe Hoosiers continue their home stand with the IU Classic today. Last year, the Hoosiers finished third in the four-team competition. This year’s tournament format consists of only three teams: IU, Louisville and Illinois-Chicago. \nIU will ride Thursday’s 1-0 win today into a doubleheader starting with Louisville at 2 p.m.