Team drops 9th game in last 11, loses both games in shortened invitational

Brandon Foltz

The IU softball team could not sustain the momentum it gained after its 1-0 shutout win over Drake on Thursday as the Hoosiers (6-19) lost Friday afternoon to Louisville and the University of Illinois-Chicago. The Hoosiers were supposed to host the IU Classic this weekend, but because of weather, all of Saturday’s games were canceled.\nOn Friday, the Hoosiers kicked off the tournament against the Cardinals. Senior center fielder Julia Hamilton got IU on the board quickly by getting on base with a single and later scoring on a throwing error. Sophomore right fielder Jennifer Glueckert’s RBI single in the second inning scored sophomore left fielder Kelli Ritchison to make the score 2-0. \nLouisville scored in the top of the third to make the game 2-1. Freshman starting pitcher Sara Olson held the Louisville batters in check, keeping them to only one run through the first five innings. But in the top of the sixth, Olson fell apart and was charged with seven of the eight runs scored in the inning before she was relieved by senior pitcher Jennifer Moore.\nThe Hoosiers tried to mount a last-inning comeback when they put runners on second and third with no outs. Senior pinch hitter Kari Bettenbrock stepped in with one out and delivered a sacrifice fly to right field to cut the Louisville lead to 9-3. The threat eventually came to an end when Ritchison fouled out to third base, ending the game.\nAgainst Illinois-Chicago, the Hoosiers turned to junior pitcher Monica Wright to maintain her recent success after her complete-game shutout in the win over Drake. Although Wright and the Hoosiers lost 3-0, Wright pitched her fourth consecutive complete game giving up seven hits and two earned runs, striking out three batters and walking none.\nEven with as well as Wright pitched, the Hoosiers’ inability to bring home runners in scoring position told the story of the game. They stranded eight runners on base in the game and were just 2-for-11 with runners on base in the game. Ritchison, who had week of firsts, was a bright spot for the Hoosiers. As a freshman, Ritchison has seen most of her time as a pinch runner. But on Thursday, she got her first career start, and on Saturday she got her first career hit – a bunt in the fifth inning.\nIU will continue its home stand when they return to action Wednesday at 4 p.m. against Evansville at the IU Softball Field.