Seniors say goodbye in weekend split

Three IU seniors played their final home game at the Counsilman-Billingsley Aquatic Center this past weekend. Senior Brittany Estrada opened the first game by singing both the Canadian and U.S. national anthems to represent all of the players on the No. 17 Hoosiers (11-13). As the team stood with linked arms, they prepared for what ultimately would result in one final triumph and one disappointing loss.\nOn Saturday, the Hoosiers defeated Wagner in the teams’ first game of the Fluid Five tournament with a score \nof 16-7.\nIU coach Barry King said he was content with the effort level of his team.\n“I wanted them to bring energy tonight,” King said, “and they did exactly that ... from the beginning.”\nThe Hoosiers quickly gained momentum in the pool and finished the half with an 8-4 lead.\nIU junior Maggie Hannon was happy with IU’s performance against Wagner.\n“We played a good game,” Hannon said. “We were coming off a rough loss and had a lot of emotion from it that we were able to release in our own pool.”\nHannon led the team with three goals and freshmen Lauren Wyckoff, Kelsey Campbell, Amy Moore, Nicole Redder and senior Brooke Zimmerman each chipped in with two goals apiece. \nLeading into Sunday’s game against No. 19 Santa Clara, the Hoosiers knew the game would not be easy.\n“We knew we would have to carry it on and play with more intensity,” Moore said. “But with our families and friends there watching regardless, there was still a lot of support.”\nZimmerman’s three goals and Redder’s lone goal were not enough to pull the Hoosiers to victory as IU lost to Santa Clara, 6-4. Although the team didn’t finish with a second win, King said the team is continuously gaining more speed in the water.\n“We’ve improved our swimming ability; this is one of the fastest groups I’ve ever had,” he said. “Having the speed to get you across the pool quicker than your opponent is what will continue to give us \nour opportunities.”