Sunday, June 16

New Web-based volunteer service to facilitate duties of Salvation Army volunteers

System helps members plan schedules, keep track of hours

The Salvation Army has recently launched a new Web-based volunteer service aimed at giving volunteers increased convenience and flexibility when performing volunteer duties.\nThe service provides an online platform to access event notifications, facilitate sign-ups for these opportunities and monitor the number of work hours spent on duties.\n“Volunteers can log in and see the opportunities available,” said Peter Iversen, communications and volunteer coordinator with The Salvation Army of Monroe County. “They can track their shifts and see what benefits them best.” \nThe Christian-based organization teamed up with volunteer management company Volunteer Squared to set up this service. The partnership spans 283 Salvation Army corps across 11 Midwestern states.\nThe new volunteer system is reported to offer a user-friendly format through which volunteers can sign up to create a profile on the Web site MyVolunteerPage.com.\nPreviously, potential volunteers had to go in person to speak with a volunteer coordinator or the Corps officer in order to get involved.\n“It’s really convenient once you understand it,” said junior and Salvation Army volunteer Nick Zwissler, who estimated that it took him 15 to 20 minutes to complete his registration. “It has made scheduling and finding out opportunities easier.”\nZwissler added, however, that there were still some issues with the system.\n“There are a couple of glitches when I last checked, but it’s a new thing so that’s expected,” he said.\nWhen asked if the Web service was anything like popular social networking sites such as Facebook and MySpace, Zwissler said those sites were for a different audience. \nIversen noted, too, that there are stark differences between social networking sites and the volunteer system. He said users on the volunteer Web service cannot communicate with each other, though the Web site features photos of volunteers.\nFreshman Brenda Ng, a volunteer with Volunteers in Medicine, said such a service would be beneficial for her. \n“I volunteered at the hospital in the past and I had to go to my director every time I wanted to track my hours,” Ng said. “If you are able to log on and monitor the hours, then it would save a lot trouble.”\nThe Salvation Army volunteer program is supported by a combination of good volunteer practices, Iversen said.\n“The Salvation Army is one of the largest nonprofit organizations with 3 million volunteers. Hence, we are adept at hosting large groups and organizations like fraternities,” he said. “We invest so much in our volunteers because volunteers are so important to us and to the clientele.”\nThough the present number of volunteers using the Web-based service is 19, Iversen hopes this volunteer management system will bring about higher levels of efficiency in the long run to provide better services for The Salvation Army’s clients.\n“We discovered that when we increase the level of volunteer management, the services that we provide will be more efficient and more meaningful to those who really need help.”\nFor more information on volunteering with The Salvation Army, visit www.bloomington.salvationarmyindiana.org/volunteer.