Sunday, June 16

Foreign policy discussed: US military creates tensions abroad

Wellesley College professor Katharine Moon talked about the effect U.S. bases overseas has had on local politics and international activism in South Korea during a lecture Tuesday at the Indiana Memorial Union.\nThe lecture, “Localism in Foreign Policy: Protesting U.S. Bases in South Korea,” focused on the backlash against U.S. bases in South Korea.\nThe lecture was part of a series that reflects on the U.S. image abroad, said IU associate history professor Nick Cullather. The series goes along with the “Images of America” course he teaches. He said he thought Moon would provide insight on a hot topic – U.S. military bases.\nMoon started off by talking about the relationship between the U.S. military and South Koreans, which is the reason junior Shawna Ryan and senior John Sauter attended the lecture. Both said they will be traveling to South Korea with a class. \n“I really don’t know what to expect,” Sauter said. “(I came) to learn what to expect over there.”\nMoon spoke about the history of the tension between the U.S. and South Korea in the 1970s, when American soldiers went on a violent rampage that led to a strong reaction from locals. \nLater, protests in South Korea between 2002 and 2003 were triggered by the death of two Korean girls who were run over by U.S. military personnel, Moon said.\nMuch of the animosity between the U.S. military and South Korea occurred locally. \n“Local politics matter in foreign policy,” she said. “Local governments and communities aren’t living in a little fish tank.” \nMoon said the tension grew as South Korea became more decentralized and democratized, which then led to the formation of activist groups. \nAs technology expanded, the activist groups began to form alliances abroad with other groups protesting against the presence of U.S. bases abroad, Moon said.\nThe Internet led to an unlikely alliance between South Korea and Puerto Rico, both of which had experienced tension between U.S. bases and the locals, Moon said.\nJunior Desma Jones said she thought this connection was the most interesting part of the lecture. \n“(It) was interesting in how local politics are important,” Jones said. \nMoon argued that although many could consider this movement anti-American, it is not. Instead, South Korea is just learning about activism, she said. \nIn the question and answer session that followed, Moon said she is not sure how the problem will be resolved. She said the U.S. military is currently stretched thin, and she thinks Iraq will play a role in what happens in South Korea. \nAfter the lecture, Moon said it was important for people to understand the tension created by U.S military bases abroad.\n“The U.S. military is such a powerful presence,” Moon said. “We always think they are doing good. As much as they are, the presence creates tensions.”