Monday, June 17

Despite poor record, high hopes remain

It’s much too early to gauge where the Hoosiers’ softball team is headed. \nInstead of dwelling over this past weekend’s winless drought at the Frost Classic in Chattanooga, Tenn., the Hoosiers are optimistic about the rest of the season ahead. \n“Obviously we’re really disappointed with the losses,” said IU coach Stacey Phillips. “But, on the other hand, we’re really on the verge of turning things around.” \nAfter dropping their first three games of the weekend, the \nHoosiers searched for a win Sunday against Kentucky. \nIU kept pace with the Wildcats late until a blast to left field ignited a total momentum swing. Kentucky answered IU’s 5-4 lead after five innings by posting six runs in the sixth, knocking off the Hoosiers 10-5.\nThe nail in the coffin that marked a winless road trip for the Hoosiers came courtesy of a two-run home run by Wildcat third baseman Annie Rowlands, her first career round-tripper.\nAs a team, IU went 8-29 from the dish with only four Hoosiers left on base the whole game. \n“We were able to show a little bit more energy against Kentucky,” Phillips said. “Our players now have a good understanding of the things they have to work on to win close games like this one.” \nDespite sporting a dismal 1-8 overall record, many Hoosier players labeled Sunday’s loss at Kentucky as a learning experience.\n“I thought today was a difference maker for the team,” freshman left fielder Brittany Devitt said. “Our energy and our passion really came out even though the game didn’t end out in our favor.” \nDevitt, who went 1-3 with an RBI and a run scored, said her teammates acted differently in the dugout – energy she hopes will only continue for the rest of the season.\n“We were loud and cheered the whole game,” Devitt said. “If we keep up that level of intensity, I think we’re only going to get better from here.”\nThird baseman Jennilee Huddleston, who went 0-2 with a walk, said the loss is in the Hoosiers’ rear-view mirror and the team is ready to move forward. \n“After the game, we put the loss right past us,” Huddleston said. “We have a whole season ahead of us and we know the task at hand.” \nPhillips said a turnaround is ahead for her ball club and the team will soon march to a different drum. \n“Despite our recent losses, we have a good understanding of the small things we have to work on to win games,” Phillips said. “We’re going to put the missing pieces together and get ourselves back on track.” \nThe Hoosiers will look to rebound at the Under Armour Invitational, beginning Thursday in Clearwater, Fla.