Monday, June 17

‘Bagel Dave’ brightens breakfast in Bloomington

Jesslene Ames

For IU Continuing Studies student David Boyer, breakfast is more than a morning boost. It’s a job and a personal love.\nOn top of going to school part-time and working at the Neal-Marshall Black Culture Center, Boyer was recruited to revamp the breakfast scene at Bear’s Place Ale House and Eatery last fall after the restaurant’s first unsuccessful go-around with the morning meal. Since Boyer created his own menu and re-energized the morning rush, business has flourished because of his presence in the kitchen. \n“Dave has a great imagination and passion when it comes to food,” said Eric Davidson, a chef at Bear’s Place. “In the last month and a half alone, business has doubled because of his presence.” \nPrior to becoming a Hoosier, Boyer spent 17 years in the San Francisco Bay Area, first as a graphic artist and later as a printing press operator. Boyer said he bought the printing press business, which evolved into one of the first environmentally oriented printing companies in the Bay Area.\nFor a long time, however, Boyer wanted to command the kitchen. Boyer said he envisioned himself as a chef.\n“My family ate the traditional meat and potatoes mostly, so I had to cook for myself,” Boyer said. “In San Francisco, the variety of cuisines was extraordinary. It inspired me by opening me to an arena where a lot vegetarian food was really full of flavor.”\nAfter he moved to Bloomington in 2001 and sent his children to college, Boyer migrated back to his real home – the kitchen. \nBoyer had a stint at Mother Bear’s Pizza and is still employed by Bloomington Bagel Company, where he was crowned “Bagel Dave.”\nAs a result of Bagel Dave’s excellence in all facets of cooking, not just bagels, he said his talent was noticed by Bear’s Place management.\n“The owner of Bear’s Place, Gary Newman, and General Manager Jim Reef approached me about doing breakfasts at Bear’s Place,” Boyer said. “They recruited me to try to bring great breakfasts back to Bloomington and I’m really proud of the food I am making.”\nAlthough Bear’s Place’s breakfast is becoming a hot commodity, prices aren’t rising on Boyer’s menu.\n“We have huge portions and inexpensive prices,” Boyer said. “Making our customers satisfied is extremely important.” \nAside from the restaurant’s music, comedy, poker games and other events for which Bear’s is known, Boyer is helping the restaurant become the place for that morning pick-me-up.\nBoyer recommended some of his best sellers – the Challah French toast, his famous breakfast burrito and Bagel Dave’s homies, which are home-fried potatoes with eggs, cheese and vegetables.\nBoyer started his breakfast reign last fall, and the customers, just as he pictured them, keep coming for more.\n“I come in for Dave’s breakfast primarily for his breakfast burrito,” said John McCluskey, IU professor of African American and African Diaspora Studies. “If I’m out running errands and I’m close, I might as well drop in for a great meal.”\nAmid Boyer’s new breakfast brigade, he also assists Bloomington Bagel Company, usually when IU is closed for breaks. \n“I am very proud of my food,” Boyer said. “My goal is to create robust and flavorful breakfasts.” \nBagel Dave said his motto is short and simple: “No one leaves hungry!”