The British are coming!

Sir Elton John, scones from Marks & Spencer, Kate Moss and Pete Doherty (my favorite role model), the world’s best kebabs after 2 a.m., Top Shop, the beehive of my sexy female lover Amy Winehouse and The Office ... what is the common thread here?\nWell, I’m cheating on America (and I’m not even using protection) – England has stolen my heart, and those were just a few of the many reasons why.\nAfter studying abroad last semester at the London College of Fashion, I learned quite a bit about British culture and what makes it so great.\nOf course, we all know where I am heading – the British music scene. I am putting on my headphones and venturing into a land where Soulja Boy doesn’t “superman dat hoe” and doing a great Cupid Shuffle doesn’t make you a great dancer.\nThe land across the pond has undoubtedly spawned some of the best artists of all time. Of course everyone knows the classics – The Beatles, Queen, Oasis and Geri Halliwell’s solo work. But there’s also a current influx of amazing talent flooding our shores.\nMy new favorite female lyricist, Kate Nash, sings songs with lyrics that want to know “Why you being a dickhead for?” and that’s something I am interested in as well. Why are you?\nThere’s also Just Jack (no relation to Jack McFarland’s acclaimed one man show), a quasi-hip-hop singer/DJ who tugs at my heart strings with his subtlety and gentle beats. Both of these artists are soon going to become more popular than Herbie Hancock at an after-Grammy party, just you wait and see.\nAnd then there are some of my favorite artists like Winehouse, Mike Skinner from The Streets and Bloc Party (who unfortunately haven’t produced a good album since their debut, but I’m hopeful). If you haven’t heard these artists yet, who are you? Are you reclusive? Are you living in Mozambique? Run, don’t walk, to download this stuff as soon as possible, please.\nOf course, you know I couldn’t call this article complete without hailing my all-time favorite British import – Radiohead. (At this point, their name should be accompanied with heavenly music and a Jesus-like glow.) The band’s most recent album was released in October. “In Rainbows” – the notorious “pay what you want” album – is, in a word, amazing. It is both original and sexy, and it reminds us that the success of a band is not in producing a great album, but standing the test of time. The band’s music has evolved during the past 15 years and we, as listeners, have evolved with it.\nYes, ladies and gentlemen, these are the reasons why I love good old England. Well, these plus the fact that I didn’t hear the god-awful Dave Matthews Band for a solid three months while I was over there. I wonder if I could get a visa citing that as my reason.