Sunday, June 16

Hip-hop culture to be topic of lecture

Georgetown University professor Michael Eric Dyson will lecture on hip-hop, Hurricane Katrina and Bill Cosby at 7 p.m. today at Alumni Hall in the Indiana Memorial Union.\nDyson, who has authored 14 books, is best known for his insight into hip-hop culture and race relations, said Andrew Dahlen, a member of the Union Board, which is sponsoring the event.\n“Dr. Michael Eric Dyson is one of the leading black public scholars in the nation,” said Eric Love, director of the Office of Diversity Education. “And he is an excellent culture critic.” \nDyson’s lecture is expected to focus on his latest book “Know What I Mean?” Dahlen said. The book focuses on hip-hop culture, according to Dyson’s Web site.\nDyson has also appeared on “The Today Show” and National Public Radio, Dahlen said.\nAlong with the Union Board, the event is sponsored by the Office of Diversity Education, Equity and Multicultural Affairs, Black Scholars Collective, Delta Sigma Theta, IU Voices of Hope Gospel Choir, Hudson and Holland Scholars and IU Hip Hop Congress.\nNathan Click, Union Board public relations representative, said Union Board chose the speaker to continue to expand cultural experiences at IU. Dahlen said Union Board also chose Dyson as a lecturer because of his unique point of view.\n“(He) is known as the hip-hop intellectual,” Dahlen said. “(He) brings an interesting perspective to the cultural dilemmas in America.”\nDahlen said he hopes all students will take advantage of the rare opportunity they have to hear Dyson speak. He said he hopes to fill up all 600 seats in Alumni Hall.\nAfter the lecture, students will have the opportunity to ask questions.\nDahlen said many of Dyson’s books will be sold during his lecture. Dyson will also be available after the lecture to sign books.