Head to the Hall

IU women look to break in-state attendance record

When the IU women’s basketball team says goodbye to its lone \nsenior, Nikki Smith, the Hoosiers hope a record crowd will be at Assembly Hall to wish her farewell.\nIn an attempt to break an in-state, on-campus attendance record for a women’s basketball game, the Big Ten Network is aiding IU’s efforts by sponsoring “Head to the Hall” when the Hoosiers host Penn State at 4 p.m. Sunday.\n“IU women’s basketball is alive and well as we are creating a legacy here with tremendous student-athletes,” IU coach Felisha Legette-Jack said in a statement. “We are looking to make history in Assembly Hall on March 2 by breaking the attendance record of 14,124 fans set by Purdue, and the Hoosiers need their sixth person in those seats.” \nPurdue set the attendance record at Mackey Arena during their 1999 national championship season. \nWith the help of the fans, Legette-Jack hopes the atmosphere at Assembly Hall will be a memorable one for everyone.\n“I think it’s going to be really fun,” she said. “I think it’s going to be something our kids haven’t ever experienced in their career. When the season is over, we’re going to look back and say, ‘Wow, we’re doing something here, and it really feels special.’”\nThe Hoosiers are 16-13 overall and 9-8 in the Big Ten. Stuck in the thick of the conference race, IU hopes some extra fan support will put them over the top in an important Big Ten game.\n“I’m hoping we can get a good fan base and I hope that we can show them a good show so they will come back,” sophomore guard Jamie Braun said. \nThe Big Ten Network has already purchased 5,000 tickets for the game, which they will donate to local charities. IU spokesperson Frank Cuervo said around 14,000 total tickets have been sold for Sunday’s game. \n“It’s a pretty daunting goal, but we are confident that we will have enough tickets sold and distributed,” Cuervo said. “The challenge will be to get everyone who bought a ticket to show up for the game.”\nDoors for the game will open at 1:30 p.m. in order to give IU fans a chance to watch the men’s team play at Michigan State on the JumboTron at 2 p.m. The first 3,000 fans in attendance will also receive a free t-shirt.\n“Overall, it should be a great event,” Cuervo said. “We’re really excited to help the growth of our women’s basketball program and bring more exposure to women’s basketball in the state of Indiana.”