Monday, June 17

Fair to offer insight on health careers

Healthcare pros to pass out info, recruit students

For students aspiring to one day be part of a team under a medical genius like that of the fictional Dr. Gregory House, the pathology assistant program is one of the new health care fields that will be represented at the 2008 Health Programs Fair.\nThe Health Professions and Prelaw Center will host its sixth annual fair from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. today in Alumni Hall in the Indiana Memorial Union. \nLast year’s fair set an attendance record with more than 725 students, according to a press release for the event.\nRepresentatives from nursing and dental schools, and from the fields of social work, radiological sciences and occupational therapy will be on hand to answer questions \nfrom students.\n“There are free giveaways and advice,” said Mary Ann Miller, an academic adviser in the biology department. “We give out quite a bit \nof material.”\nRachel Tolen, assistant director of the Health Professions and Prelaw Center and an adviser for the premed program, said students in previous years made good impressions at the fair.\n“Admissions reps of the medical schools were very impressed by the students and their preparation,” Tolen said.\nAccording to the Health Professions and Prelaw Center Web site, students will be able to find out about different career options, become familiarized with volunteer opportunities and student organizations and have the ability to talk directly with representatives from medical schools and health profession programs from around \nthe country.\nTolen said the event is an opportunity for students to “enhance their chances \nfor admission.”\nStudents who are already in the application process will be able to find information on financial aid and other programs to which they might apply, according to the press release.\n“As advisers, we can only give the information we have about the schools,” Miller said. “If students want specific questions answered, representatives are anxious to help as many IU students as they can in as much time as necessary.”\nFor more information on the fair, visit www.hpplc.indiana.edu/medicine/med-hpf.shtml or call 855-1873.