Dancing in the dark

Hot Chip would like you to consider buying some exciting stone statuary along with its album.

Hot Chip's 2006 record The Warning became one of the most loveable dance records of the year, from the infectiously repetitive "Over and Over" to the catchy and endearing "And I Was a Boy From School." With its follow-up Made In the Dark, the London hipsters explore the two extremes of their sound -- the ballad and the dance hit -- making for a loveable yet fragmented effort. \nThe title Made In The Dark is no coincidence, as the album feels made for the darkness of the dance floor or of your bedroom, depending on the song. Made resides mostly in minor keys, but the dark atmosphere is also there because of the heavier beats and deeper grooves. "Shake Your Fist" delves into hypnotic house, and "One Pure Thought" opens with a grungy guitar leading into one of the album's best songs. \nAlthough the dance grooves will not leave any time soon, Hot Chip shows it has a real knack for balladry. "We're Looking For a Lot of Love" is smooth R&B that will leave you wanting more, which comes soon with the honest and earnest title track. The album lacks the major hits The Warning provided, but it does have a great single in the radio-ready pop of "Ready for the Floor."\nThe uncanny transition from heavy beats to heartfelt ballads leaves the album a bit unfocused, with the stark contrast of Alexis Taylor's soothing falsetto and Joe Goddard's weary monotone vocals, which makes for a pleasant yet unusual balance. Finally, when it comes to lyrics, Hot Chip mixes dry wit ("Wrestlers") and well-written sincerity ("Whistle For Will"), making for another interesting contrast. \nBut just as Alexis Taylor chimes on "Bendable Poseable," "there are holes in what we do." Whether it's the occasional overindulgence or the lack of cohesiveness, the album is flawed. "Hold On" carries on too long, and an undanceable "Don't Dance" makes its title easy to follow. \nEven with its shortcomings, Made In The Dark is electro-pop worth listening to.