Buskirk theater packed for local artist

Daniel Herman

The Buskirk-Chumley Theater was filled to its capacity Saturday for Carrie Newcomer’s album release concert. Newcomer, a singer/songwriter who lives in Bloomington, started her night by telling the audience “it’s good to be home.” The atmosphere was warm, as smiles never left the performers’ faces throughout the night.\n“All of the musicians were excellent,” said Bloomington resident Mark Webb. “It was easy to get lost in her stories and songs. It goes beyond simply saying it was a good show.”\nThe café jazz group the Stellanovas started the night off with its toe-tapping jazz. Band members that performed included Chris Wagoner (violin and other stringed instruments) and Mary Gaines (cello).\nNewcomer, whose album will be released Tuesday, began her set with “Leaves Don’t Drop (They Just Let Go),” a song from her recently released album, “The Geography of Light.” Before Newcomer sang her song “Geodes,” also off her new album, Newcomer prefaced it by explaining the importance of the rock to this area of Indiana.\nThroughout her set, Newcomer’s high spirit never faded. She kept a smile on her face, and whenever she looked at the other performers, they reciprocated the gesture. She would often look as though she was swept up in her own music. With her eyes closed and her head dropped back, a look of peace and spiritual enlightenment seemed to radiate from her throughout the performance.\nFrom song to song, her powerful voice could be deep and dynamic or soft and gentle. In the song “A Woman and a Shovel,” she displayed a deep, powerful voice, as opposed to the gentler “Two Toasts.”\n“I loved playing ‘Don’t Push Send,’” said Wagoner of the Stellanovas. “That’s a stand-out song.”\n“Don’t Push Send” was a crowd favorite as well. With the lights on during this song, nearly everyone was laughing. This song is Newcomer’s lighthearted tale about e-mail blunders.\nNewcomer’s lyrical genius also comes through in different ways. For the song “A Mean Kind of Justice,” not only are her words foreboding, but the way she sings the lyrics helps give the song its liveliness. Newcomer brought out special guest Keith Skoogland to play guitar on this song.\n“It’s very subtle music,” said Stellanova’s member Wagoner of Newcomer’s music. “It has a lot of dynamics.” He added that making music is “always a creative process with Carrie.”\nAnother example of her different styles shows through in the song “You’d Think by Now,” where she gently reminisces. Her nostalgic lyrics and soft voice in this song show the range of styles Newcomer has polished throughout her years as an artist.\nToward the end of the set, Krista Detor also joined Newcomer for the songs “The Clean Edge of Change” and “Biscuits and Butter.” Wagoner switched over to the slide guitar for these songs. “Biscuits and Butter” had a driving rhythm.\nAfter the show, the audience gave Newcomer a standing ovation. Moments later, her husband came out and told the audience it was truly one of Newcomer’s favorite shows ever. She came back out to perform more songs and after the nearly two-hour set, she still had energy to mingle with her fans and sign autographs. She talked to everyone as a friend and as though she knew them. There didn’t seem to be a disconnect that can sometimes exist between artists and fans.\n“There were several moments of the night where my heart was so full,” Newcomer said after the show. “What a wonderful way to start a three-month tour – here in this town. I love Bloomington.