Tuesday, June 18

world

Around the World

The U.S. military faced complaints Tuesday from its Sunni allies over claims that more civilians had been killed by American forces – amplifying tensions as the Pentagon tries to calm anger over an airstrike last week that claimed innocent lives. The disputes have further strained ties with anti-al-Qaida fighters considered crucial in turning the tide against extremist violence.

A coalition of Taliban militants in northwestern Pakistan declared an “indefinite” cease-fire Wednesday in fighting against security forces. The government said it was preparing for peace talks. A Pakistani army helicopter crashed in the same region, killing three generals and five other soldiers. The army said initial reports indicated a technical fault in the chopper and ruled out hostile fire as the cause.

Chad’s president said his government was in control of the entire country Wednesday, speaking publicly for the first time since rebels tried to overthrow him. Idriss Deby wore a military uniform as he received reporters in the presidential palace. He denied reports that he had been injured as the capital of the Central African nation was besieged, spreading his arms wide and saying, “Look at me, I’m fine.”

Israel launched airstrikes against militants firing rockets from the Gaza Strip on Wednesday and vowed to maintain a war “on all fronts” until the territory’s Hamas rulers halt attacks. Vice Premier Haim Ramon said Israel would maintain its blockade of Gaza and reduce supplies of fuel, electricity and some food in an attempt to persuade Hamas to stop the rockets.

Italy’s president dissolved parliament on Wednesday, clearing the way for early elections this spring, just two years after the last parliamentary vote. The president made the decision after Premier Romano Prodi’s center-left government fell late last month and subsequent efforts to form an interim government to change voting rules proved unsuccessful.