Other Boleyn Girl, Mary, to star in feature film soon

Royalty and rivalry rule in Tudor’s England

After hearing that Sony Pictures was making a film about the rise and fall of sisters Mary and Anne Boleyn in King Henry VIII’s court, I knew I had to read the novel first. The film, which opens Feb. 29, is based on Philippa Gregory’s best-selling novel “The Other Boleyn Girl.”\nThe novel is an intriguing tale of the rivalry between the two sisters, Mary and Anne, to win the love of the king. Set during the time of the Tudors, in the 1520s and 1530s, Mary and Anne are played like cards for the advancement of their family. They have no choice but to do everything in their power to win the king’s affection. However, there is one problem: He just so happens to be a married man. While Mary seduces Henry VIII, she is always mindful of the Queen, Catherine of Aragon. When her affair subsides, Anne steps in, beginning the cutthroat rivalry between the two sisters. Anne attempts to drive out the queen and make her own way to the throne.\nWhile Gregory paints a beautiful picture of the English countryside and glamorizes the life of English nobility in this 661-page novel, it can certainly drag on at times. Halfway through the book, I was hoping to near the end. The process of Anne and Henry’s marriage and Anne’s coronation goes on for pages. Gregory also goes into great detail about the sex lives of Mary and Anne, as well as everyone else in court. Ancient cuss words and sexual innuendoes make for a good laugh, but half the book seems to be littered with unnecessary sex scenes. The reading of the book conjures up images of the Showtime series “The Tudors.” The novel also is not quite as historically accurate with some of the character’s actions as well as some of the dates, but there should be some leeway when it comes to works of historical fiction. I think that Gregory’s dramatization humanizes his characters and makes their royal situation relatable to the reader.\nIt was certainly a long read, but one that was intriguing. It made me want to learn more about the Tudors as well as Anne and Mary Boleyn. The novel provided a lot of detail and background that I think will make the film that much more enjoyable. Plus, I am one who thinks it better to read a novel before seeing the film version. If you don’t want to read the novel, the film does look quite promising ... let’s just say it features Eric Bana, Natalie Portman and Scarlett Johansson. Now what could be hotter than that?