'Knocked Up' for kids

Ellen Page wonders how long she's going to have to wear this stupid beachball under her shirt. Courtesy Photo

The test of a really good film should include its ability to handle a variety of moods and genres. "Juno," which seamlessly moves between serious and hilarious, drama and comedy, through witty dialogue and a sophisticated vocabulary, does just that. \nIt's hard not to like Juno MacGuff (played with gusto by Ellen Page). At only 16, she's a clever, opinionated, music-savvy, cute girl who is more certain of herself than she lets on -- probably because of the self-doubt that develops when she is unexpectedly knocked up by her friend Paulie Bleeker (Michael Cera). \nPregnant Juno is forced to grow up fast, but luckily her sarcastic father Mac (J.K. Simmons) and stepmother Bren (Allison Janney) support Juno when she decides to go through with the pregnancy and find adoptive parents for her unborn child. Jason Bateman and Jennifer Garner round out the brilliant cast as Mark and Vanessa Loring, a couple interested in adopting Juno's offspring. Even Rainn Wilson, who plays Dwight Schrute on the TV show "The Office," makes an eccentric but effective cameo. \nIn his film, director Jason Reitman allows his actors freedom to express their characters' emotions and spotlights the development of the relationships between the protagonist and supporting cast members. Juno is ambivalent toward Bleeker, has a mature relationship with her parents and forges a questionable bond with Mark over shared musical interests, guitar playing and horror flicks. Ultimately, it is the knowledge of her own limitations and her empathy for Vanessa that guide her resolve. \nThe film's music is one of its many strong suits. A huge fan of '70s punk rock, Juno not only listens to good tunes but plays in a band with Bleeker, who at one point utters the classic line, "When this pregnancy thing is over, we should get the band back together." The two sing an excellent duet toward the end of the film. \n"Juno" manages to avoid preaching and platitudes and offers no message or slant concerning teen pregnancy, which lends the film credibility. It chronicles a poised young girl's skirmish with adulthood and the realization of her individuality. Page, who has already garnered a Golden Globe nomination, is worth the admission alone.