IU track, field squads eager to compete

IDS FILE PHOTO
Freshman Jackie Coleman flys through the air during a long-jump competition as part of the Billy Hayes Invitational Friday, May 6, 2007 at the Billy Hayes Track and Field Complex.

More than 300 athletes will assemble at the Harry Gladstein Fieldhouse on Saturday to run, throw, hurdle, sprint and jump in competition against one another. \nThe fieldhouse will serve as host of the Indiana Open, which kicks off the season for the Hoosiers men’s and women’s track squads. It will be the first of four consecutive home meets the Hoosiers will host. \nIU coach Ron Helmer is excited about the team’s first meet. \n“I want to see people compete and see who is ready, who is nervous and who is going to rise to the challenge,” Helmer said. “It is a good chance to get started and see where we are.” \nHelmer believes this meet will give his athletes the opportunity to gain confidence and learn how to race, something that will be of great importance as the season progresses. \nThis preseason has been a bit of a struggle for the Hoosiers, who only have one main coach from last year’s team still with them, assistant coach Jake Wiseman. Their new head coach has embraced the challenge, and is happy the team has given him a chance to succeed. \nHelmer said one of his main goals this year is to function as a cohesive unit. This is something he acknowledged will take time, but he said he’s optimistic. \n“We are making a lot of progress with work ethic, team culture and pride,” he said. \nIU senior thrower Paul Fearnow agreed with his coach, noting that he is proud of the work that has been done so far this season.\n“We have had some bumps in the road, but we are happy with where we are at,” Fearnow said. \nBoth men’s and women’s teams are young and somewhat inexperienced, especially on the women’s side. More than half of the women’s team is made up of freshman and sophomores.\nDespite the lack of experience, the team does return some talented athletes, including IU sophomore pole vaulter Vera Neuenswander. Neuenswander is the reigning Big Ten champion, and placed No. 12 at the national meet in both indoor and outdoor track during her freshman year.\nWith the NCAA Outdoor Championships more than seven months away, she said she is eager for her second season. \n“We are all ready ... to put on that jersey and compete,” she said.\nOne of Neuenswander’s top goals is to perform to her best ability.\nNeuenswander gives credit to the coaching staff for what it has done so far. She said it has really helped her to be pushed by great coaches and to have teammates working side-by-side with her. \nNeuenswander and her teammates will get their chance to compete this Saturday. The Indiana Open will begin with the women’s 60m prelims, which are tentatively scheduled to start at 11:30 a.m. \nHelmer, his staff and the IU athletes are eagerly anticipating the start of competition. \n“They are a happy group and are excited for what is to come,” Helmer said.