Hoosiers look to redeem early season loss to Purdue

Brandon Foltz

It has been a little more than a week and a half since the IU women’s basketball team lost a gritty, defensive battle with rival Purdue. The Hoosiers didn’t have to wait long for a second chance, and they will get it tonight. \nThe two teams will take the court again tonight at Mackey Arena in West Lafayette in a matchup that marks Big Ten game No. 5 for both the Hoosiers (9-7, 2-2) and the Boilermakers (7-8, 3-1). The game marks the second and final regular-season contest between the in-state rivals. \nIn their last meeting, the Boilermakers rode 15 strong points from Lakisha Freeman to win their fourth straight game in the rivalry. IU got 17 points from junior forward Amber Jackson, and junior guard/forward Kim Roberson added 12 points and eight rebounds. \nIn the last game, sophomore guard Jamie Braun – IU’s leading scorer this season with 14.3 points per game – struggled, scoring just one point. \nAfter that game, IU coach Felisha Legette-Jack told the media that Braun will not have many more games like that, and so far, Braun appears to be proving her right. The Marshfield, Wis., native is coming off a season-best performance against Ohio State – a game which saw her score 25 points on 10-of-16 shooting from the field. She also scored 19 against Illinois in the Hoosiers 70-62 home win. Both scores were team highs. \nLeading Purdue this year are Freeman and center Danielle Campbell, who average 13.3 and 12.1 points per game, respectively. Campbell also leads Purdue on the glass, averaging 7.9 rebounds per game. \nThe Hoosiers will look to break their losing streak against their rivals on the Wabash river. The last time an IU team beat Purdue came on Feb. 19, 2006 in West Lafayette. The IU coach at that time – Sharon Versyp – now resides on the opposing bench at Mackey Arena, where she moved following the 2005-2006 season, her only year in Bloomington.