Global warming hoax

It’s convenient to label global warming as a strictly political issue created by Democrats and hippies, but unfortunately global warming affects all of us, with dire consequences in the future. Chase Cooper’s ignorant column (“Eco swift boats,” Jan. 15) was bad enough since when did it become acceptable to cite a writer of fictional thrillers as a legitimate scientific resource? I don’t doubt that Michael Crichton does some research for his novels, but I have trouble basing any decisions on bestsellers written by someone who has at one point in time written about evil man-eating monkeys. Cooper also throws in a few names of those who deny that global warming exists. However, he acts as if the very existence of such people proves his point. In reality, it just emphasizes the limitations of his argument: Those five “experts” are expected to carry the same weight as hundreds of scientists who accept global warming as fact.\nAnd then Justin Hill’s piece comes along (“Convenient truths,” Jan. 17). The only thing “convenient” about Hill’s piece is its timing – just two days after Cooper’s drivel. It seems as if its goal is more to convince readers that the first piece wasn’t really that ridiculous since two politically slanted people wrote about the same subject in a short period of time. Not very surprising, however, considering that Cooper is the opinion editor. Hill’s piece is less palatable by far; it’s merely a forum to bash Democrats. I also take issue with Hill’s contempt for “green” campaigns. While I fear that some of these campaigns are misguided attempts to snatch eco-conscious consumers, trying to educate people about environmental issues is still a noble deed. Hill and Cooper forget, in their promotions for SUVs, that petroleum is a non-renewable resource, and it won’t be around forever. If only ignorance were as cyclical as they claim climate change is. Unfortunately, it isn’t; it just builds up until we’re up to our eyeballs in ignorance – and water from those melted ice caps we chose to forget all about.