Children's Health Day to aid low-income families

Free eye exams, dental screenings held Monday

On Martin Luther King Jr. Day, the Shalom Community Center will sponsor the third-annual Children’s Health Day from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the First United Methodist Church, located at 219 E. Fourth Street. \nShalom Center Director Joel Rekas said the principle goal is to improve access to health and dental care for all, especially for local families living in poverty. \nThe event is free, and all families, regardless of economic standing, are encouraged to attend, he said. Those who attend will receive free health packets filled with items such as Children’s Tylenol and a thermometer, Rekas said. \n“I think this is a fun and great way to spend Martin Luther King Day,” Rekas said about volunteering for the program.\nRekas said that in addition to free food, this festive event will also feature a clown. However, the central piece of the fair will be the mobile dentists, sponsored by the Children’s Dental Health Foundation, a non-profit organization. \nKelly Matteson, state manager for Indiana Mobile Dentists, said they provide teeth cleanings, X-rays, fluoride treatments and sealants. Parents interested in getting their children’s teeth cleaned can fill out a permission slip, and if they have insurance, can write it down at that time; dentists will later bill their insurance. If they do not have any insurance, grant funding will pay for their visit. \nMatteson said seeing the Mobile Dentists is less expensive than going to a dentist’s office. \n“This is an opportunity for getting in touch with people and kids who don’t usually go to a dentist,” Matteson said. “We come to (the kids) who won’t otherwise be seen because they don’t have insurance, and paying out of pocket is a lot of money.” \nIU and several other local health organizations will also participate, and the Atwater Eye Clinic will offer free eye exams.\nSheila Evans, Community Health and Education program manager for Bloomington Hospital, said the hospital will perform children’s lead screenings and provide lead-swabbing kits for parents to test toys for lead. She said the hospital will host a program about proper car seat safety, as well. \nEvans said representatives from Community Health and Education will also be talking about Women, Infants and Children, a nutrition education and food supplement program for low-income families. The Community Health and Education Program donated items for gift bags, including nutrition and hygiene pamphlets about proper hand washing. \nEvans said that the Commnunity Health and Education program provides health education seminars in an effort to distribute health and resource information within the community. \n“This event is an opportunity for families to learn about what resources are out there and educate them,” Evans said. \nRekas said event volunteers can help in a variety of ways, such as working with parents to complete paperwork, leading children in activities while waiting to see a dentist or helping distribute food.\nHe said students interested in volunteering should contact Pam Kinnaman, volunteer and resource coordinator for the Shalom Center at 334-5728.