Carson leaves district changed

U.S. Representative Julia Carson of Indiana’s Seventh Congressional District died Dec. 15 of complications from lung cancer. She was 69.\nCarson announced that she had been diagnosed with terminal lung cancer three weeks before her death. Several days later, she announced that she would not seek reelection in November 2008.\nCarson was the first woman and African American elected to represent the district. She served six terms in the House of Representatives, winning her first congressional term in 1996, replacing Rep. Andy Jacobs.\nHer congressional career was defined by her support of women’s and children’s issues and her efforts to reduce homelessness. She also opposed the Iraq war.\nThe seventh district seat remains open until there is a special election to fill it. Gov. Mitch Daniels must set a date for the election and suggested in a letter sent to the chairmen of both the Democratic and Republican state committees that the special election be held on Indiana’s primary election day, May 6.\nHowever, according to Indiana law, the governor must hold a special election to fill a vacant congressional seat at least 60 days after it becomes vacant.\nCarson was born Julia May Porter in 1938 in Louisville, Ky. She waited tables, delivered newspapers and worked on farms until she was able to attend Martin University in Indianapolis and IU-Purdue University Indianapolis. She worked as secretary for the United Auto Workers Union until she was hired by her predecessor, Rep. Andy Jacobs, as a staff assistant in 1965.