Sunday, June 16

The great MBA debate

The decision to pursue an MBA is one both business and non-business majors face

As students venture forth after graduation, furthering their education sometimes proves to be the ideal choice. Some choose graduate school, others, law school; others opt for a different degree: the MBA, or Master of Business Administration.\nWith application deadlines looming for MBA programs, business and non-business students alike must decide if earning an MBA is the right choice for them.\nMark Brostoff, associate director for undergraduate career services at IU’s Kelley School of Business, said most undergraduates do not seek an MBA degree directly after graduating. Only a highly select few go for their MBA right after their undergraduate degree. \n“MBA programs are looking for students who can apply real work experience to concepts and ideas,” Brostoff said. \nRobby Spigner, a 2005 Kelley School alumnus, said he has decided not to pursue his MBA yet because of the work \nexperience factor. \n“You can relate more of the material if you have had firsthand experience,” Spigner said.\nSpigner added that the top tier schools like to see at least three years of work experience before one goes for an MBA. \nFor students who are planning to pursue an MBA, Brostoff said, deciding between a part-time and full-time position is not a major one. The decision depends on what a person has going on in their life such as income and time. \n“Whether you complete an MBA full-time or part-time, the qualities and values (one) learns is close to the same,”\nBrostoff said.\nBrostoff added that students, no matter their major, can seek an MBA after college, since an undergraduate business degree is not needed for success at a higher level.\nTherefore, Brostoff encourages students interested in an MBA to start preparing while in school. He suggests taking a variety of courses, such as overseas internships, or learning a second language. By doing this, students can differentiate themselves and become more marketable to schools.\n“Students with a wide range of experience and diversity will look more appealing to MBA programs,” Brostoff said. \nBrostoff said IU has a very good MBA program. The average age for students admitted to IU’s full-time MBA program for the class of 2009 is 28, according to the Kelley School Web site. Thirty-two percent of students have an undergraduate business degree, while 26 percent have one in the social science and \nhumanities area.\nSpigner added that not having an MBA does hinder him in situations where he is potentially looking to make a \ncareer change. \n“In consulting, having an MBA gives you more credibility,” Spigner said. “If you are not on the ‘fast track’ already, it is hard to get to it without going back to get your MBA.”\nFor example, Spigner said, it is hard for people to move into management or strategy consulting if they did not start in it right after obtaining an undergraduate degree. \n“I think the value of an MBA depends on whether you are on the ‘fast track’ or not,” Spigner said.