Let the music do the talking

August Rush (PG) Grade: B

August Rush

Mozart's musical genius is a fascination that one could spend a lifetime studying and have a life well-spent. The recently released "August Rush" attempts to take the similar story of a musical prodigy and capture the imagination of all those who see and, more importantly, hear him. The result is a magical journey of music and sound that plunges headlong into the meanings of love, life and happiness.\nEvan Taylor (Freddie Highmore) is an orphan. But unlike many at his home, he believes his parents are looking for him and that he hears them every day, through the world's natural music. Having learned to play instruments, Evan runs away to New York City, where, after meeting street composer Wizard (Robin Williams), he adopts the name August Rush and sets out on a journey that takes him from corner guitar player to Julliard composer.\nHighmore's performance as Rush is worth celebrating for its simplicity. It is simple because he has only one goal -- finding his parents -- and because the story is driven by neither plot nor characters. It is driven by music. The film's soundtrack is amazing, making up for the sometimes flat characters and unexplained story line. While the film could have benefited from another 30 minutes to tie up loose ends and expand characters, most fans will enjoy it immensely because of its music. \nFor those heavily invested in the desire to discover the mysteries of the world of song and often wonder how far the sound of a few notes can carry humanity, this is your film. For those who didn't want to sit for an hour and half and watch some kid play a guitar, stop complaining and watch a movie trailer in the future. "August Rush" is happy and magical.