Guillen, Gibbons suspended; no punishments for Matthews, Ankiel, Glaus

Jose Guillen and Jay Gibbons were suspended Thursday for the first 15 days of next season for violating baseball’s drug policy, an indication how the sport might treat any players named in the Mitchell steroids investigation.\nGuillen and Gibbons were accused in media reports of receiving human growth hormone after January 2005, when it was banned by baseball.\nGary Matthews Jr., Rick Ankiel, Troy Glaus and Scott Schoeneweis also were linked to HGH, but baseball officials decided there was “insufficient evidence” to determine they committed a doping violation. The players were accused of receiving performance-enhancing drugs before 2005.\nFormer Senate Majority Leader George Mitchell was hired by baseball commissioner Bud Selig in March 2006 to investigate drugs in baseball, and his report is to be released by the end of the month.\nGuillen instructed the players association to file a grievance, which would be decided by an arbitrator. Gibbons will not challenge his penalty.\nEarlier in the day, Guillen and Kansas City finalized their $36 million, three-year contract.\n“We signed Jose knowing that was a possibility,” Royals general manager Dayton Moore said of the free-agent outfielder. “While my initial reaction is one of disappointment, I am thoroughly convinced that Jose will put this behind him and we collectively support him as he begins a new chapter in his baseball life.”\nGibbons accepted responsibility and apologized.\n“I am deeply sorry for the mistakes that I have made. I have no excuses and bare sole responsibility for my decisions,” the Baltimore outfielder said. “Years ago, I relied on the advice of a doctor, filled a prescription, charged the HGH, which is a medication, to my credit card and had only intended to help speed my recovery from my injuries and surgeries.”\nThe 15-day penalties match what a second offense would have drawn under 2003-04 rules. Current rules call for a 50-game suspension for a first offense, a 100-game penalty for a second and a lifetime ban for a third.\nCleveland pitcher Paul Byrd was linked by the San Francisco Chronicle to purchases of HGH between August 2002 and January 2005. Byrd, who has not yet been interviewed by the commissioner’s office, said he took it for a medical condition and did so under a doctor’s supervision.\n“Other open investigations should be completed shortly,” MLB said in a statement.\nThe six players whose cases were resolved Thursday met with baseball officials after media reports that their names surfaced in a national drug investigation by the district attorney in Albany, N.Y.\nThe Chronicle reported last month that Guillen bought human growth hormone, two types of testosterone and the steroids stanozolol and nandrolone between May 2002 and June 2005.\nGibbons got six shipments of Genotropin (a brand name for synthetic human growth hormone), two shipments of testosterone and two shipments of human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG) between October 2003 and July 2005, SI.com said in September.\nAnkiel, a St. Louis outfielder, admitted he used HGH in 2004. The New York Daily News reported he received eight shipments of prescription HGH that year.\nGlaus, a Toronto third baseman, received multiple shipments of nandrolone and testosterone between September 2003 and May 2004, SI.com reported.\nMatthews, a Los Angeles Angels outfielder, received Genotropin in August 2004, according to SI.com.\nSchoeneweis, a reliever on the New York Mets, received six shipments of steroids in 2003 and 2004, ESPN.com reported.\nThe Chronicle said Byrd made 13 purchases of HGH between August 2002 and January 2005.