Sunday, June 16

Former naval officer gets medical school position

Department of Radiation Oncology set to install new department head

A new captain is onboard the Indiana faculty. \nRetired naval officer, Dr. Peter A. S. Johnstone will be taking over the chairmanship duties at the Department of Radiation Oncology at the IU School of Medicine.\nComing from Emory University School of Medicine, where he was professor of radiation oncology and hematology/oncology, Johnstone arms himself with a wealth of experience and a clear vision for his role at IU. \n“What we have got to do is continue IU’s academic mission and increase the school’s academic reputation by being actively involved in research publication and clinical trials,” Johnstone said. \nAlthough Johnstone’s role as chair is focused on mentorship and recruiting, he wants to work with other academic departments. \n“Collaboration will help in enriching everyone concerned,” Johnstone said. \nJohnstone earned his medical degree from the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences in Bethesda, Md., and a master’s degree in communications from the University of Oklahoma in Norman. He completed a residency in radiation oncology at the National Cancer Institute and received specialized training in medical acupuncture at University of California, Los Angeles. \nMuch of the leadership skills that he acquired in his distinguished navy career will come into play in this new position. \n“My perspective on leadership, as a rule of thumb, was developed in my career in the navy,” Johnstone said. “Over 20 years in the service has given me a broad range of experiences to draw from.”\nAfter receiving his bachelor of science from the Naval Academy, Johnstone commenced his naval duties as a U.S. gunnery officer and navigator at sea. Subsequently, he worked for three years at the Pentagon, where he spent one year as part of the personal staff to the Secretary of the Navy. Before retiring, he was on the board of directors at the Naval Hospital in San Diego. He served the United States Navy from 1975 to 2003. \n“Dr. Johnstone is a recognized leader in his field,” said Dr. Stephen D. Williams, HH Gregg professor of oncology and director of the IU Simon Cancer Center, in an e-mail interview. “His background and his experiences will lend themselves well to helping our patients continue to receive the best possible care available through research and state-of-the-art treatment.” \nIndeed, Johnstone has worn many hats throughout his career: He is the editor-in-chief of the bi-monthly medical journal “Current Problems in Cancer” and serves on several committees within the American College of Radiology, the American Society for Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology and the American Radium Society. He is also president of the Society of Integrative Oncology, which, as stated on its Web site, functions as a nonprofit organization of professionals “committed to the study and application of complementary therapies and botanicals for cancer patients.”\nJohnstone officially replaced Dr. James G. Morphis II, the William A. Mitchell Professor of Radiation Oncology, on Saturday.