War memorial vandalized

Monument marks site of Battle of Tippecanoe

Monument Vandalism

BATTLE GROUND, Ind. – A 90-foot marble obelisk commemorating the 1811 Battle of Tippecanoe was vandalized on the anniversary of the fight, with slogans spray-painted on four sides of the monument.\nMessages spray-painted on the monument said, “America repent,” “Justice will be served,” “Coward,” “Give us back our spiritual capital” and “Tecumseh’s not dead.”\n“I can’t believe someone would deface historic property – especially this monument, which will be 100 years old next year,” said Kathy Moore, the battlefield park’s manager.\nThe monument marks the site of the Nov. 7, 1811, battle between American Indians and U.S. troops. The American Indians were led by the Prophet, brother of Tecumseh, a Shawnee who wanted to settle on the land.\nThe Army troops were led by Gen. William Henry Harrison, who was elected president in 1840. About 75 fighters were killed in the battle.\nOfficials said they do not know why anyone would have vandalized the 1908 monument in the park about five miles north of Lafayette, but noted the spray painting happened on Wednesday’s anniversary of the battle.\n“We see the battlefield as hallowed ground where 196 years ago brave men, red and white, fought and died courageously,” said Allen Nail, superintendent of the Tippecanoe County Parks and Recreation Department. “I don’t know how anybody could hope to do honor by doing this sort of thing.”\nPioneer Restoration, a Clinton County company that performs regular maintenance on the monument, was set to begin restoration work.\n“We don’t know what kind of paint was used,” Nail said. “Rather than staining and damaging the monument further, we’re going to have them take a look.”